Petendruch c. 1220 Terrier fo 242v [17/18th c. copy; held by Bishop of St Andrews, and mentioned immediately after Beley DNO and before Stravithie DNO, SSL]
Pittendreigh 1745 Dunino Kirk Session Records fo 401r
Pittendriegh 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Pittendriech 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G pett + G an + G dreach
‘Farm of the (good) aspect’. This is a common place-name in eastern Scotland, with at least twelve other examples, from MLO to BNF. There were two others in Fife by its medieval boundaries: Pittendreich, Portmoak KNR (formerly FIF); and *Pittendreich, the exact position of which is unknown, but which is discussed under *Pittendreich CER (PNF 2). Watson lists several of them, stating that they appear all to be situated on slopes, usually facing the sun (1926, 413–14), though the lands of Pittendriech DNO are on gentle slopes which face mainly east and north-east.
Nineteenth-century writers claimed that Pittendriech was from Pitt-an-Druidh or Pittan-druidh, which they claimed meant ‘Druid’s Grave’, and mention this in connection with a supposed ‘druidical circle’. There is no basis, linguistic or archaeological, for these claims.
/ˈpɪtən drix/ or /ˌpɪtənˈdrix/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3