Baleccles * DNO S
Bale eccles c.1220 Terrier F [17/18th c. copy]
G baile + G eaglais
Meaning either ‘farm belonging to or held by the church’, or less likely, ‘farm by a church’. The name occurs only here, among lands in present-day DNO, all of which belong to the bishop of St Andrews and his men. For the text of the Terrier, see Appendix 2, below.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3