Pittowie

Pittowie # CRA S NO614093 1 50m

Petollin 1153 x 1178 Laing Chrs. no. 2 [o.c.; 1 carucate of land in Crail-shire (Carelsira) to wit in Pittowie]
Pittowie 1178 x 1185 RRS ii no. 196 [late copy; NLS MS. 37.3.1 (Lawrie’s Collections), fo 86v; for text see Wormiston CRA, below]
Laurencium de Petolly 1312 Hist. MSS. Comm., 5th Report, Appendix, 626a
terrarum de Tolly 1452 RMS ii no. 588 [to Patrick Hepburn of Wauchton, the lands of Athelstaneford (Elstanfurde) ELO, with the superiority ‘of the lands of Tolly’ in sheriffdom of Fife]
(lands of) Tolly 1498 RMS ii no. 2455 [Hepburns of Wauchton]
Pettolly 1515 Fife Ct. Bk. 1 [‘Pinkertoune (Pinkerton CRA) & Pettolly’]
Pettolly 1515 Fife Ct. Bk. 12 [‘Pynkertone & Pettolly’]
Pittowie 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 397 [17th c. copy; Pinkerton (Pinkertoun) CRA and Pittowie, £2]
Pittcowie c.1560 s Purves 153 [Pinkerton (Pincartoun) CRA and Pittowie; £2]
Pitcowy c.1560 s Assumption, 177 [rental to Haddington Priory, 29 s. 4 d.]
Pittowie 1594 RMS vi no. 100 [teinds of Pitmilly KBS, Pittowie, Pinkerton CRA, Minarbowhill # CRA and Little Troustrie CRA]
Tollie 1605 Retours (Fife) no. 151 [Hepburns of Wauchton; misidentified in Index as Torry TOB]
(lands of) Tollie 1620 RMS vii no. 2112 [Hepburns of Wauchton]
(Morton of) Pettowre 1638 Retours (Fife) no. 575 [for Pettowie; William Morton (Myrtoun) son and heir of Arthur Morton of Pittowie]
Pittowie 1642 RMS ix no. 1266 [FIF; Hepburns of Wauchton]
Pittowie 1642 RMS ix no. 1266 [William Morton (Myretoun) of Pittowie]
(lands of) Tollie 1646 RMS ix no. 1702 [FIF; Hepburns of Wauchton]
Pittoy 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Pitoy 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Pittowie 1828 SGF
Pittowie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

G pett + G toll + – in

‘Place of (the farm of) a hollow’, with the common locational suffix –in. Tolly or Tollie represents simply G toll ‘hollow, hole’ + –in ‘place of or in a hollow’, indicating that the element pett is, in this case at least, detachable (see Taylor 1997). The form Pittowie, found three times in RRS ii no. 196, can scarcely be as old as the purported date of the charter (1178 × 1185), and confirms G. W. S. Barrow’s suggestion (loc. cit.) that we are dealing with a late, conflated copy of a lost original.

Pitmilly KBS, CRA is the only other Pit-name in the medieval parish of Crail.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3