Newton

Newton CRA S NO606095 1 364 50m

Newton 1359 x 1458 RMS ii no. 610 col. 3 [one of the lands belonging to Haddington Priory; see CRA Introduction]
(one third of) Newtoun 1496 RMS ii no. 2331 [to John of Morton (Myretoun) nephew of Thomas of Morton (Myretoun), a third part of the lands of Randerston (Randerstoun) KBS and Newtoun]
Newtone 1528 Crail Register no. 94 [Alexander Morton (Myrtone), laird of Randerston (Randelston) and Newtone]
Newtoun of Randelstoun c.1560 s Assumption, 162 [amongst lands belonging to Haddington Priory]
Newtoun 1594 RMS iv no. 100 [Randerstoun and Newtoun]
? Newtoun 1620 RMS viii no. 42 [see Frithfield KRY]
Newtown 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
Newtown 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Newton 1828 SGF
New Town 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc newtoun

‘New farm’; in 1496 associated with the lands of Randerston KBS, which had been feued to Thomas of Morton (Myretoun) dean of Glasgow in 1429 (RMS ii no. 130). This is confirmed by its designation as Newtoun of Randelstoun in 1562. It seems also to have been known as Ladylands # KBS, so-called because it was one of the lands belonging to Haddington Priory, a Cistercian nunnery dedicated to St Mary, ‘Our Lady’. Ladylands # are, like Newton, closely associated with Randerston from the fifteenth century, but are not mentioned in the same documents as Newton (see Randerston KBS for more details). The place marked Newton on OS Pathf. is on the south (CRA) side of the farm-track which forms the CRA/KBS boundary at this point. However, it must originally have referred to a settlement on the north (KBS) side of that track, and in fact a settlement is shown there but not named on OS 6 inch 1st edition (1855) at NO607097. On SGF (1828) Newton is shown clearly as lying in KBS.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3