Knights Ward CBE S NO507076 1 374 170m SOF
Knights Wards 1775 Ainslie/Fife [almost 2 km to the east, east of Lochty]
Knights Ward 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc knight + Sc ward
The knights are the Knights Templar, granted land in this part of the parish in the late twelfth century (see Craigloun CBE). Sc ward is ‘enclosed piece of land’, while Sc wardland is land held in return for knight service to the feudal superior.
These lands appear as the temple lands of Carnbee (terras templarias de Carnebie) in 1645 (Retours no. 690) and again in 1682 (Retours no. 1207), as well as in RMS vii no. 1100 (col. 3) in 1614. See also West Ward # CBE, below.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3