Cunner Law CBE R NO491063 1 374 182m
Kinkathislaw 1266 Laing Chrs. no. 8 [or Konkathislaw; see CBE Introduction]
Cunnerlaw 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Cunner-Law 1790s OSA, 106
Cunner Law 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? + Sc law
The first element of this Sc name may be derived from an originally G name for the hill. The earliest form of this hill-name, Kinkathislaw, may represent an existing name containing G ceann ‘end or head’ and some now unidentifiable specific, with a Sc possessive -is ending followed by Sc law. However, the alternative reading Konkathislaw, suggests a personal name *Konkath, meaning ‘Konkath’s Law or Hill’. The name Konkath is very similar to the specific in the early forms of Kilconquhar (e.g. Kilkonkath 1202; see s.n. for more details). The western end of Cunner Law is in fact traversed by the boundary between KCQ and CBE. It seems likely, therefore, that the hill-name contains a reference to the saint perceived to be the patron saint of Kilconquhar, ‘(St) Konkath’s Law’. This saint was in fact probably Dúnchad (Duncan), so Konkathislaw would have been named under the influence of early forms of Kilconquhar such as Kilkonkath.
It is difficult to see how Cunner might have developed from *Kinkath. However, given that the name Kilconquhar itself has undergone such drastic change in Fife Scots over the past four or five hundred years (to /kI:nÃx«r/), it is not inconceivable that Kinkath could have become Cunner, especially if the name continued to be perceived as linked to that parish.
In the nineteenth century the remains of a cairn stood on this hill, much of which was dismantled by a farmer in the 1830s; he found human remains in a ‘stone coffin’ within. Nothing of the cairn is now visible (NMRS NO40NE 3).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3