Bonerbo CBE S NO547074 1 374 100m SEF
Bonerbo 1663 RMS xi no. 407 [to Sir John Gibson of Alderstoun the north side of the lands of Balhouffie (Balhousie) commonly called Pitmart (Pitmarthie) and Bonerbo, with the manor-place and pertinents, in parish of Kilrenny (Kylwinnie)]
Balnerby 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Bonerbo 1813 Sasines no. 9850 [‘north half of Balhouffie and pendicles thereof called Bonerbo and Pitmarthie’]
Bonerbo 1828 SGF
Benarbo 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also Benarbo Wood]
The name is probably of G origin, but is so unusual, and appears so late in the record, that only the most tentative etymology can be offered. The first (generic) element may be G both ‘hut’ followed by the definite article an or nan (plural) ‘the’, or the diminutive bothan ‘little hut’. The final (specific) element may be related to modern G earb, ‘roe deer’, which in Old Irish, besides ‘roe deer’, can also mean ‘she-goat, doe’ (erp or erb). The ending would be either a locational suffix –ach ‘place of’, or part of the adjective earbach ‘associated with roe deer etc., abounding in roe deer etc’, and recorded as such in Dwelly (under earb).
Ainslie/Fife’s form (Balnerby) is simply an example of assimilation of unstressed Bo- to the common place-name element Bal-.
It might share the second element with the lost name Minarbow(hill) CRA, which in turn may be connected with Erbetshall CRA (see under both these names, below).
/bɔˈnɛrbo/, locally /bəˈnerbɪ/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3