Balhouffie CBE S NO552064 1 374 55m SEF
(lands of) Balwolsy 1466 RMS ii no. 883 [to Nicholas of Borthwick and Elena Crichton, the lands of Balhouffie CBE and Gordanshall (Gordounehal) CBE]
(lands of) Ballwolsy 1467 RMS ii no. 924 [to Alexander Hume the lands of Balhouffie and Gordanshall (Gordounehall)]
Balwolsy 1491 RMS ii no. 2021 [to Nicholas Borthwick, 20 merklands of Balhouffie and Gordanshall (20 mercatas terrarum de Balwolsy et Gordounhall) formerly held by Alexander Hume]
(John Borthwick of) Balwolsy 1508 RMS ii no. 3234
(lands of) Balwolsy 1508 RMS ii no. 3234
Balhulffie 1512 NLS MS Adv. 34.4.6, fo 8v [= Crail Register no. 10, which wrongly reads Balhulfie; rent of lands of Balhouffie, Gordanshall (Gordonishall) and Pitmart (Petmerth) CBE, sold by Alexander Borthwick to William Morton (Myrtone), vicar of Lathrisk KTT]
Balhulffie 1512 Crail Register no. 10 [charter dated at Balhouffie]
Balhuffye 1516 Fife Ct. Bk. 44
Bawhowfy 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 251 [‘Bawhowfy & Gordonisall’]
Balhowfy 1521 Fife Ct. Bk. 227
Bawhowfy 1522 Fife Ct. Bk. 251
Balhulphy 1526 RMS iii no. 389 [Gordanshall (Gordonishall), Balhouffie and Pitmart (Petmarch) CBE]
Balhuffie 1548 Retours (Fife) no. 10 [John Borthwick (Borthuik) of Gordanshall (Gordinschall), the lands of Balhouffie]
Balhouffie 1634 Retours (Fife) no. 502 [Robert Borthwick of Balhouffie]
Balhoufy 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Bufy 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [or Busy; long sy and fy not clearly distinguished]
Balhoufie 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [or Balhousie; long si and fi not clearly distinguished]
Bowffie 1666 Lamont’s Diary 184 [‘Margaret Gibsone, Bowffies eldest dawghter’ marries Andrew Bruce, minister of Carnbee (Carnbie)]
Balbufie 1684 Adair/East Fife [with erroneous b for h]
Balhoufie 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5 [or Balhousie?]
Balhouffie 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘Pitillo Esqur.’]
Balhouffie 1813 Sasines no. 9850 [‘Andrew Scott ... the south half of the lands of Balhouffie ... and the north half of Balhouffie and pendicles thereof called Bonerbo and Pitmarthie; 3 acres and 70½ roods of arable land of the lands of Pitkeirie being parts of the barony of Balhouffie; and parts of Boniehall called the Crooks and Wellflatt, with a piece of ground intended for a road, and Teinds, par<ish> of Kilrennie’]
Balhouffie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G baile + ? G fo-ghlais + ? – in
Perhaps ‘farm of the small burn’ or ‘farm of the place of the small burns’. The second element is a problem, but is also found in Balhousie by Perth, Balhousie, Panbride ANG, Dalhousie MLO, and possibly Balhousie LAR (PNF 2). Dixon, in his discussion of Dalhousie, tentatively proposes glaisidh ‘of the little burn’ (1947, 143). While this is unlikely, the element glais ‘burn, stream’, may be involved after all, in the form fo-ghlais ‘substream or small burn’, found in names such as Fowlis Easter and Fowlis Wester PER (see Watson 1926, 458 for early forms and discussion), as well as Foulzie, King Edward ABD (Fowlisse, Fowlisee 1514, Foulissy 1528). The ending of Balhousie, Balhouffie and Foulzie is most likely to be the common locational suffix –in reduced to -i(e) by about 1300 (in the sense ‘place of’). The slopes around Balhouffie are indeed criss-crossed with small burns.
The development from the earliest forms ending in -sy to later forms in -fie can perhaps be explained by the assimilation of s to a surviving labial or labio-dental fricative in initial position in the medial syllable, deriving ultimately from fo-ghlais, and represented in the earliest forms by w.
The NGR given above is for OS Pathf. Balhouffie, but this site appears on Ainslie/Fife (1775) as Pitmart, while that map shows Balhouffie to the south, on the other side of the road, now the B9171.
Locally /ˈbufɪ/, already detected in the 1666 entry, and perhaps also in the Blaeu (Pont) form, which would go back to the 1590s; also /bəlˈhufɪ/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3