Lathockar

Lathockar CMN SSL S NO492109 1 363 150m NOF

Aithocker 1383 Martine 1797, 137 [written 1683; ‘Aithocker now called Lathocker’ and Morton (Muiretoun)]
Athokyre 1440 RMS ii no. 244 [‘le Muretoun (the Morton) et Athokyre’]
Lathokir 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land; listed before Morton (Muretoune) CMN and Lathones (Lathone) CMN]
the Muirtoun of Lathocker 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 401 [17th c. copy]
(James Wemyss of) Lathoker 1557 RMS iv no. 1192
apud Lathoker 1557 RMS iv no. 1192
Lathockker 1587 Assumption, 13 [listed in the rental of the teind sheaves of the St Andrews Priory, within the parish of St Andrews (the Trinity); leased for 2 bolls bere, 3 chalders 3 bolls oats]
Lathoker 1592 APS iii, p. 549, c. 20
Lathoker... 1593 RMS v no. 2273 col. 4 [‘... Lathone, Murtoun, Lathoker ...’, St Andrews Church lands]
Lathhoker 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Lathoker 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Lathoker 1691 Retours (Fife) no. 1318 [John Wemyss (Weems) ‘in the lands of Lathockar with the mill’ (terris de Lathoker cum molendino)]
Lathoker 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Lathockar 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘Wymes Esqr.’, at OS Pathf. Lathockar Mains]
Lathockar Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
lands of Lathocker 1790s OSA, 101 [‘belonging to Miss Scott’]
Lathockar 1828 SGF [at OS Pathf. Lathockar House; also Lathockar Mains]
Lathockar 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also Lathockar Mains, Lathockar Mill, Lathockar Cottage and Lathockar Burn]

? G leth + ? G uachdar

‘Side or half of the upland’. It forms the north-eastern part of what may once have been one unit consisting of Lathockar and Lathones CMN q.v. The two earliest forms, with Aith or Ath, if genuine alternatives and not the result of scribal or editorial error, indicate a first element in G àth ‘ford’, presumably referring to a ford over the Lathockar Burn (which becomes the Kinaldy Burn). This might then be seen as an example of generic element variation (for more on which see Taylor 1997), with leth and àth alternating already in the Gaelic-speaking period, depending on which aspect of the place the name-user wanted to emphasise. A third possibility is that the first element was originally àth, and that it became Lath- under the influence of neighbouring Lathones.

At least some of the lands of Lathockar belonged to the bishop of St Andrews, and went with the office of constable of the bishop’s castle in St Andrews (RMS ii no. 244). See also Constable Crook under Larennie CMN, above, and Martine 1797, 137.

The above NGR is for OS Pathf. Lathockar. A detailed plan of the estate of Lathockar from 1815 (SAUL MEP 17), the property of Thomas Horsbrugh Esq., shows that it included OS Pathf. Northbank, Hazeldene, Lochaber and Brewsterwells, Lathockar Mains and Lathockar Mill, as well as Corse Bowers # and Parks #. This plan shows OS Pathf. Lathockar as Hazzleden (NO492109) (for which see Hazeldene CMN), and OS Pathf. Lathockar Mains (NO48093) simpy as Mains, called Lathockar on Ainslie/Fife (1775). This suggests that the earlier centre of the lands of Lathockar lay around here, rather than further north around OS Pathf. Lathockar. This impression is further reinforced by the fact that Ainslie/Fife does not show any site containing the name Lathockar at OS Pathf. Lathockar or Lathockar House (NO492106).

OS Pathf. also shows Lathockar Mains, Lathockar Mill, and Lathockar Bridge crossing the Lathockar Burn. OS Name Book (18, 15) says of Lathocker Mill that ‘no trace of the mill now remains, nor can its site be pointed out.’

/ləˈθɔkər/ and /ləˈθokər/[41]

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3