Kinaldy

Kinaldy CMN SSL S NO512104 1 363 NEF

Kynnadin ? fi<lii> c.1220 Terrier E [17/18th c. copy; held by the Culdees]
Kynnadin Egu c.1220 Terrier E [17/18th c. copy; held by the Culdees]
Kynaldy 1375 RMS i no. 495 [rights on king’s muir of Crail granted to William Strang and his men who dwell in the lands of Kinaldy and Pittarthie (Petardy) DNO; this may refer only to South Kinaldy DNO]
Kynnaldy-Northir 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land; listed after Kynnaldy-Suthir]
Kynnaldy-Suthir 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land; listed before Kynnaldy-Northir]
Kynnald 1501 RMS ii no. 2601 [10 merks’ worth of the lands of Kinaldy and Cairns SSL (10 mercis terrarum de Kynnald et Kirnes) contributing to a prebend of the collegiate church and royal chapel of St Mary by St Andrews]
Kynnaldry 1535 RSS ii no. 1696 col. 6 [Kinaldy ‘and its mill’ (& mylne tharof) to the provost of the collegiate church of St Mary, referred to as Kirkheuch of Sanctandrois, for which see Kirkheugh SSL]
Androw Aytoun of Kynnaldy 1583 St A. Kirk Sess. ii, 511
Kynawdy 1587 Assumption, 13 [listed in the rental of the teind sheaves of the St Andrews Priory, within the parish of St Andrews (the Trinity); leased for £15]
Kynnaldye 1590 Retours (Fife) no. 1488 [John Aytoun of Kinaldy, the lands of South Kinaldy (Sowther Kynnaldye) DNO and their mill, with astrict multures of South Kinaldy (Kynnaldye Sowther)]
Kynaldie 1592 APS iii, p. 549, c. 20
Keanadie 1642 Gordon MS Fife [also Keanady Mills]
Kynnadie Northerne 1643 SAUL CH2/1132 p. 30 [see discussion, below]
Kinnaldie-Norder 1643 Retours (Fife) no. 660 [John Hamilton of Kinkell (Kinkell) SSL, along with the lands of Gilmerton (Gilmorstoun) CMN]
Kinnadie 1645 APS vi (part 1), 332 [part of newly formed CMN]
Keanady 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [also Keanady mill]
Knmadey 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [assumed misreading of MS *Kinnadey]
Kinadie 1684 Adair/East Fife
the 2 Kinnaldies 1745 SAUL CH2/405/2 fo 401r [Dunino Kirk Session Records; see discussion, below]
Mains of Kenawdy 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5 [also shows Cotts of Kinnawdy and Kenawdy Mill; Kenawdy on this map, south of the burn, probably refers to OS Pathf. South Kinaldy DNO]
Kinaldie March 1775 Ainslie/Fife [at about NO521106, on parish boundary]
North Kinaldie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Mid Kinaldie 1775 Ainslie/Fife [shown in DNO]
South Kinaldie 1775 Ainslie/Fife [shown in DNO]
Kinaldie Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife [shown in DNO]
New Kinaldie 1800 Cameron Parish Papers
Kinaldie Cotton 1800 Cameron Parish Papers
Kinaldy Place 1800 Cameron Parish Papers
Kinaldy Farm 1800 Cameron Parish Papers
Kinaldie 1828 SGF
Upper Kinaldie 1828 SGF [shown in DNO, = OS Pathf. South Kinaldy]
Kinaldie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also Kinaldie Saw Mill, Kinaldie Wood (= OS Pathf. Burnt Plantation), Kinaldie Burn and South Kinaldie (DNO)]

G ceann + G allt + G – in

‘Place at the head of a burn’. For d for t in allt (‘burn’), see Jackson 1972, 74. The burn in question is the Kinaldy Burn, the headwaters of the Kenly Water, formerly the *Water of Peekie (see Peekie SSL). In the Terrier two Kinaldies are listed amongst the lands belonging to the Culdees of St Mary’s, St Andrews, and in 1501 it is recorded as being a prebend of the collegiate chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Andrews, the direct successor of the Culdee establishment (see Kirkheugh SSL for more details).

Aodh (Egu) of Kinaldy Aodh (Egu) is almost certainly the Aodh (Egu) who witnesses an agreement between the Culdees and the priory 1199 × 1209 (St A. Lib. 329). In the Bannatyne Edition the relevant part of the witness list is printed ‘... Baldewino fil<io> Bothac . Egij Gillepatricio . duflunsi ...’. The double minims of Egii have been interpreted as a Latin genitive linked to Gillepatricius, which is in fact a separate name. Other sources confirm that the form of the name was Egu (see especially RRS ii no. 28 <Egu> and no. 85 <Eggu>). This is from the gen. Aeda of the OG name Aed (modern G Aodh), which is sometimes Latinised as Hugo, later as Odo (see Bannerman 1993, 32 and footnote 1). Aodh (Egu) of Kinaldy must be the same man as Aodh the Red (Eggou Ruffus), who grants land in the Kinaldy area to the priory of May 1209 × c.1226 (St A. Lib. 382–3). From the charter recording this grant we also learn that his wife’s name was Agnes, his son and heir was Duncan (Donecanus), and he had a servant called Merwin (Meruin). For more on this charter, see CBE Introduction, Multi-Ethnic Lingo, below.

The two Kinaldies of the Terrier probably later became (North) Kinaldy and South Kinaldy, both first mentioned as such in 1452 (RMS ii no. 1444). South Kinaldy, which lies south of the Kinaldy Burn, is in DNO. South Kinaldy is shown as South Kinaldie on Ainslie/Fife (1775) which also shows Mid Kinaldie a short distance to the north, still south of the burn, as well as Kinaldie Mill on the burn itself and North Kinaldie to the north of the burn. South Kinaldy is shown as Upper Kinaldie on SGF (1828), while (North) Kinaldy is shown simply as Kinaldie. The division of the lands of Kinaldy between parishes seems to date from medieval times. In 1643 an attempt was made to disjoin North Kinaldy from SSL and annex it to DNO, which would have resulted in all the lands of Kinaldy coming to be in DNO. Instead, however, in 1645 (North) Kinaldy (Kinnadie) was one of the lands transferred from SSL to the new parish of CMN (see DNO Introduction, Other Parish Boundary Changes, for more details and full references). In the Kirk Session Records of Dunino of 1745 ‘the 2 Kinnaldies and the Miln thereof’, which were all to be included in the West Quarter of DNO, must refer only to Kinaldy south of the burn, the two divisions mentioned being South and Mid Kinaldy, the latter of which makes a brief appearance on Ainslie/Fife on the south (DNO) side of the burn.

OS Pathf. also shows Kinaldy Farm to the north-west of Kinaldy, as well as Kinaldy Den and Kinaldy Burn.

/kəˈnɔdɪ/ or /kɪˈnɔdɪ/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3