Feddinch

Feddinch CMN SSL S NO485134 1 363 135m SEF

(Roger of) Fedic 1186 Hoveden ii, 311 [presumably for Fedinc]
(Richard son of Roger of) Fedinche c. 1196 x 1198 St A. Lib. p. xxv no. 2
(Richard of) Feddinsche 1198 Barrow 1971 no. 10
(Matthew of) Feding’ 1266 St A. Lib. 109
Johan fiz Randolf’ de Fediche 1296 Inst. Pub. 154 [for Fedinche]
Fedinche 1440 St A. Cop. no. 111 [marches Lumbo (Lumbow) SSL]
Fedynche 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land]
(cain of) Feddinchye 1471 RMS ii no. 1039 [sic; land of Falside (Fawsyde) KBS ‘with the cains’ (cum canis) of Pitmilly KBS and Feddinch and of Bannafield (Bannachfelde) DNO; St Andrews Church lands]
kane of Feddinche 1587 Assumption, 11 [3 s. 4 d.; St Andrews Priory land]
the kane of Fedinche 1587 Assumption, 19 [one of the cains (of 3 s. 4 d.) pertaining to the abbey (sic) of St Andrews, by Patrick Learmonth (Lermonth)]
Fedinche 1592 APS iii, p. 549, ch. 20
Fedinsche 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [St Andrews Church land]
Feddinche 1625 Retours (Fife) no. 364
Feddinsh 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Fedinosche 1645 APS vi (part i), 332 [part of newly formed CMN]
Feddinche 1649 Retours (Fife) no. 785 [William Simpson (Symsone) of]
Feddinch 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Feddinche 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Fedinch 1684 Adair/East Fife
Feddinsh 1692 Retours (Fife) no. 1338 [William Ayton (Aytoune) of ]
Fredinch 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Fedinch 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘W Lindesay Esqr.’]
Fedinch Cottown 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Feddinch Cotton 1800 Cameron Parish Papers
Feddinch 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Feddinch Mains 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

? G fead + G innis

If the specific element is G fead ‘bullrush, soft rush’ (Dwelly), then this is ‘rushy haugh, rushy raised land in a bog’. Feddinch is on land rising to 135m, but much of the land in the area has been boggy in the past, prior to draining. An alternative interpretation is ‘long haugh, long raised land in a bog’, containing G fad(a) ‘long’, but this is less likely, given that the vowel is consistently written e in all the recorded forms from the twelfth century onwards.

OS Pathf. shows Feddinch Bog Wood south-west of Feddinch; also Feddinch Mains to the north-east. The lands of Feddinch are now (2000) divided into two parts, the southern part farmed by the Pickens of Priorletham.

OS 6 inch 1st edn (1855) also shows Feddinchmuir (NO477123), a now ruined cottage on a southern tongue of Feddinch lands. The eponymous muir is the rough pasture attached to Feddinch, which also gave rise to Muiredge #.

/ˈfɛdɪntʃ/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3