Kirk Haven ANR CoO NT661991 1 0m
Kirk-haven 1710 Sibbald 1803, 99
Kirkonhaven 1837 Eggeling 1985, 44 [the wreck of the Johns]
Kirk Haven 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn 28 [‘Pier’ shown]
Sc kirk + Sc haven
A sheltered inlet, now the main harbour (Sc haven), near the old church (Sc kirk). On SGF (1828) map it is called simply The Harbour, with no other landing place indicated. The pier was built ‘by the Commissioners of Lighthouses to facilitate the landing of stores etc. for the lighthouse’ (OS Name Book 1, 14).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3