Colm’s Hole ANR C NT657994 1 0m
Colm’s Hole 1960 Eggeling 1985, 246
pn Colm + Sc hole
The first element is the Sc form of the saint’s name better known as Columba. An entry in the Accounts of the Lord High Treasurer [TA] for 1503 records a visit paid to the May by James IV in a “little bark callit the Columb” and ‘it is tempting to imagine that the bark may have anchored off the Hole, as fishing vessels still do when this [east] side of the island affords shelter’ (Eggeling 1985, 246). Eggeling code L.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3