Kildownies BGY S NT169973 2 160m
Kildownie 1810 RHP767
Kildounie 1811 RHP1711 [Fore Kildounie, Back Kildounie, Bowhouse Kildounie: all immediately north and north-west of Lochore House]
Kildownies Hill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
The name occurs too late in the record for any certain interpretation to be offered. If G, as it appears to be, the first element may be either G coille ‘wood(land)’, G cùil ‘neuk, corner’ or G cùl ‘back’, while the second element may be G dùn ‘hill, hill-fort’. It appears as a set of field-names on the lands of Lochore House in 1810. The name survives in OS Pathf. Kildownies Hill (NT166972 1 384 173m) a few hundred metres west of Lochore House. The Sc or SSE plural ending reflects the group of Kildounie field-names.
Henderson states that this place is first mentioned in 1711 (1990, under Bowhouse of Kildounie). It must be the same place as Henderson’s Bowhouse of Inchgall (see Bowhouse BGY above).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1