Inchgall

Inchgall BGY S NT175958 1 95m

(Valence lord of) Inchegalle 1393 Pitfirrane Writs no. 8
apud Inchegall 1407 RMS i no. 901 [charter of Robert duke of Albany dated there]
supra Inchgall 1511 RMS ii no. 3642 [villam de Corshill supra Inchgall, ‘the estate of Crosshill above Inchgall’]
(lands of) Inchegall 1536 x 1546 RMS iv no. 3 [John Wardlaw to Henry Wardlaw and Alison Hume his lands of Inchegall viz. mains of Inchegall, lands of Corshill, Balbeghe, Contill, Clune, Tempilland, Smedyland de Myltoun, Brewland de Myltoun and Serjandcroft + other lands of the lordship of Inchegall <not named> + advowson of the church of Ballingry (Ballingorie) and of the chaplaincy of the chapel of St Andrew (for which see Chapel BGY), in the barony of Westir Lochquhoreschire]
baronia de Inchegall 1543 RMS iii no. 2938
(barony of) Inchegall 1547 RMS iv no. 47
lacus de Inchegall 1547 RMS iv no. 47
(advowson of the chapel of) Inchegall 1562 RMS iv no. 1415
(lands and barony of) Inchegaw 1604 RMS vii no. 1
parochia de Inchegaw 1604 RMS vii no. 1
(advowson of the chapel of) Inchegall 1605 RMS vi no. 1658
(barony of) Inchegall 1605 RMS vi no. 1658
(free barony of) Inchegall 1616 RMS vii no. 1405 [free barony of Wester Lochquhoreschyre alias Inchegall]
(lands called the Mains of) Inchgall 1642 Retours (Fife) no. 619 [terris vocatis Maynes de Inchgall]
Insh Ga 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Inche Ga 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [in Loch Ore]
Inchgown 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Inchgaw Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Inchgall 1786 Sasines no. 1389 [‘Mains of Inchgall, Ballud and Bowhouse called Inchgall’]

G innis + G gall

‘Island of foreigners’. For a discussion as to who the foreigners in question might be, see BGY Introduction above. The centre of the lands, later barony, of Inchgall was the castle now known as Lochore Castle. The NGR is of this feature. As the name suggests, it originally stood on an island in Loch Ore. This is confirmed by Blaeu (Gordon)’s map.

OS Pathf. Inchgall Farm was formerly Inchgall Mill. See Milton for a discussion of this name.

/ɪntʃ gɔl/, locally /ɪntʃ gɔ:/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1