Milton ANR S NO556035 1 25m
Myltoun 1526 RMS iii no. 388 [‘with mill’ (cum molendino); part of the lands of Pittenweem Priory]
terras de Mylnetoun 1541 RMS iii no. 2292 [the lands of Milton ‘with mill’ (cum molendino) amongst Pittenweem Priory lands, listed between the lands of ‘Anstruther west of its burn’ (Anstruthir ex occidentale parte torrentis ejusdem) and Falside (Falside) CBE]
usque ad Mylntoun 1587 RMS v no. 1396 [one of the marches of the common grazing granted to the burgh of Anstruther Wester; see ANR Introduction]
apud lie Mylnetoun 1592 RMS v no. 2116 [see discussion, below]
Milnetoun de Pettinweme 1594 RMS vi no. 97
in villa de Mylnetoun 1630 RMS viii no. 1628 [houses and gardens ‘in the toun of Milton with a piece of arable land the Parkdykes #’ (cum pecia arabilis terre lie Parkdykes)]
Mylnetoun de Pittinweim 1634 Retours (Fife) no. 504 [see PIT Introduction]
Mylntoun de Pettinweyme 1642 Retours (Fife) no. 632 [‘in a holding with a garden in Milton of Pittenweem, within the limits of the burgh of Pittenweem and its lordship’ (in tenemento cum horto in Mylntoun de Pettinweyme, infra limites burgi de Pettinweme, et dominio ejusdem)]
Milntowne 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Milntoun de Pettenweyme 1643 Retours (Fife) no. 642 [Alexander earl of Kellie]
Miltoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Milntoun de Pittinweyme 1670 Retours (Fife) no. 1081 [David Wilson, portionar of Milton of Pittenweem; see also no. 1082, to John Dawson, portionar of Milton of Pittenweem (Milnetoun de Pittinweyme)]
Milntoun 1684 Adair/East Fife
Milton 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
Mill Town 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Milton 1828 SGF
Milton Mill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Milton Muir 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Milntown 1870 Elie Disposition fo 50r [‘All and Haill these houses and yards with the pertinents thereof lying in the town of Milntown sometime occupied and possessed by William Scott’]
While Milton itself is not on the OS Pathf., both Milton Muir and Milton Mill are. The NGR is supplied by Milton Mill, called simply Milton on SGF (1828).
In 1587 it is mentioned in the marches of the common grazing of the burgh of Anstruther Wester, for which see ANR Introduction and footnote (RMS v no. 1396). In 1592 James VI grants to James Mowat and his heirs 2.5 acres of lands ‘in the vill of Anstruther’ (in villa de Anstruther), two of which are ‘at the Milton, containing eight (long) rigs beside the *Bogs Common Burn’; part of half an acre ‘in the *Easter Lickerstanes’ (in lie Ester Lykerstanes) and the other part of the same ‘in the Banks’ (in lie Bankis), in the lordship and barony of Pittenweem (RMS v no. 2116).
Although in the parish of Anstruther, it is called the Milton of Pittenweem, presumably because it was one of the lands occupied by Pittenweem Priory, and that was seen as the chief place or caput.
Elie Disposition 1870 has the following (fo 41v–42r): ‘The Miln called the Miln of Pittenweem with the Miln Lands thereof and acres thereto belonging extending to eighteen acres of land or thereby with the pertinents of the same were possessed by the deceased John Scott and Euphan Clephane tenants thereof with the Astricted Multures of the Lands Town and Barony of Pittenweem; also excepting All and Haill the acres of land underwritten viz six acres of Land called Steill and Vauch Land sometime possessed by Walter Airth in Pittenweem ...’ Also on fo 38r: ‘All and Haill the acres of land under written, viz six acres of land called Steill and Wauch’s Land sometime occupied by Walter Airth ..’. The context does not give any clue as to the exact whereabouts of Steill Land and Wauch(’s) Land, named after those who occupied or had once occupied these respective pieces of land. One Thomas Steill held land called *The Kilnheuch PIT in 1592, for the position of which see s.n., below.
The name has given rise to Milton Place, Milton Court and Milton Road at the east end of Pittenweem (NO552027). Note also Milton Villa described by OS Name Book as ‘on north side of Pittenweem’ (82, 9).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3