? Ken B<urn> 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Den Burn 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc den + Sc burn
‘Burn of the narrow valley or ravine’, this being an accurate description of much of the course of the burn, which forms part of the boundary between KCQ and CBE. It also forms the western boundary of the lands of Pitcorthie, and was described as such in the fourteenth century under its older name, Aqua de Kethok (for which see this Section, and Kellie CBE, below). It becomes OS Pathf. Kilconquhar Burn, which in its lower reaches joins with the Sandyfield Burn to become the Cocklemill Burn (q.v.).
The den through which it flows is variously called Balniel Den and, further downstream, Balcarres Den on OS 6 inch 1st edn.
It is probably not related to ‘the dene’, a piece of land belonging to the lands of Lathallan KCQ in 1517 (Fife Ct. Bk. 74, 79), since Lathallan lands lie further west than the burn.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3