Contle # BGY S NT183953 2 85m
Contill 1536 RMS iv no. 3 [one of the lands in Wester Lochoreshire or Inchgall]
Quontill 1616 RMS vii no. 1405 [part of the lands of Wester Lochoreshire; see BGY Introduction]
Quintall 1628 RMS viii no. 1280
Contell 1628 RMS viii no. 1285
Quonthill 1632 RMS viii no. 2083
Quonthill 1642 Retours (Fife) no. 619
Cantle 1753 Roy sheet 17, 6 [also shows nearby Couth, which is probably a mistranscribed form of Cantle; Roy’s Cantle is the more accurately positioned if Ainslie’s siting is taken as correct, though his Couth is closer to the actual confluence]
Contel 1775 Ainslie/Fife [Beatson Esq.]
Literally ‘flood together, gathering of flood’. The first element or prefix signifies a combination or group of similar features, and is discussed by W. J. Watson (1904, 91 and in Additions and Corrections). The second element tuil ‘flood’, is found in the second element of Auchtertool, which itself takes its name from the Teil Burn. There appears to be a tendency to unround the u in south-eastern Scottish Gaelic, as evidenced by the above-mentioned Teil Burn, as well as Tealing ANG north of Dundee. In the combination *con-tuil the stress would fall on the first syllable, which would explain the different spellings of the vowel of the second element over time, sometimes even becoming assimilated to Sc hill (e.g. Quonthill 1632).
This interpretation is strengthened by the fact that the lands of Contle lay at the junction of the River Ore and the Lochfitty Burn (also known as the Netherton Burn). The settlement which appears as Contel on Ainslie/Fife (1775) and Ainslie/West Fife (1827) is named Glencraig on SGF (1828).
‘Prior to 1895 the only houses at Glencraig were the quaintly named Contle Row, which had stood since the late seventeenth century, and was known locally as the village of Contilhill when they had been part of the Cluniecraig Estate. Events moved swiftly after 1895, and both North and South Glencraig were established, as houses were erected at the colliery’ (No More Bings in Benarty, the Benarty Mining Heritage Group, 1992, 8). In the late nineteenth century these houses were referred to as The Contle Rows.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1