Locharnie # NBN S NO444033 3
Lochquhairny 1599 RMS vi no. 874 col. 1 [part of the lands of Carmurie ELI, q.v., PNF 3]
Lowharney 1783 Sasines no. 579 [‘... Mucklet, Magreehill, Lowharney ...’]
Lowheorney 1786 Sasines no. 1478 [‘... Mucklett, Magriehill, Lowheorney ...’]
Locharney 1801 Sasines no. 5970 [John Anstruther Thomson of Charleton KCQ seised in parts of Coates (Coats) NBN, which include the lands of Locharnie, described as being in Newburn parish]
Lockarmie 1807 Sasines no. 7743
Lochamy Park 1815 Sasines no. 10547
Locharney Park 1816 Sasines no. 10967
Locharnie Park 1816 Sasines no. 10978 [‘the south-westernmost park of Coats called Locharnie Park, to the south of the road to Colinsburgh, in Newburn parish’]
? G loch + ? G càrnach
‘Rocky or stony loch’? ‘Loch where there are cairns’? The name appears too late in the record to allow anything but the most tentative etymology. From the description in 1816 (Sasines no. 10978), it would seem to be somewhere south of the entrance to the Coates House drive (hence the above approximate NGR). The ‘loch’ or boggy area might therefore be the flat ground around Dumbarnie NBN, discussed in some detail under *Aberdollo LAR, above.
It was part of the lands of Coats NBN, q.v.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2