Lawgreens * NBN S NO4304 3
(lands of) Lawgrenys 1555 Dunf. Reg. no. 576 [associated with Hallhill of Melgum (Hawhill de Melgum) NBN]
Lawgrenis c.1560 s Assumption 24 [rental of Dunfermline Abbey, associated with Melgum]
Lawgreinis 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 428 [associated with Melgum; see NBN Introduction, Newburnshire]
Laugrines 1563 RMS iv no. 1477 [associated with Melgum; see NBN Introduction, Newburnshire, footnote]
Laugrgrenis 1594 RMS vi no. 75 (col.3) [associated with Melgum]
Lawgreins 1596 Retours (Fife) no. 1530 [see Melgum]
(lands of) Lawgrennes 1625 Retours (Fife) no. 352 [David Simpson (Sympsoun), a third part of the lands of Melgum and Lawgreens]
(lands of) Lawgreins 1669 Retours (Fife) no. 1057 [David Auchmuty (Auchmoutie), lands of Lahill (Hallhill), lands of Melgum (Melgume) and Lawgreens, in the parish of Newburnshire (Newbirnshyre)]
Sc law + Sc green
‘Greens on or by a hill’; the law in question is Largo Law. Obviously part of the lands of Melgum, its first element seems to have contributed to the change of Ha(l)hill to Lahill q.v..
There is a farm called Lawgreen in Abercorn WLO (lie Lawgrene 1591), which MacDonald analyses as either ‘green on the hill’ or possibly ‘green belonging to Law Farm’ (1941, 23).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2