Coates

Coates NBN S NO446039 1 85m

? Rad<ulpho> de Kotis 1260 St A. Lib. 341 [w. charter of Alexander Murray (de Morauia) anent land in Seggie LEU, with Fife gentry such as Richard of Nydie SSL, Alexander constable of Naughton BMO, and Richard and Alan Lascelles]
The Cot c.1560 s Assumption 28 [rental of Dunfermline Abbey]
Cott c.1560 s Assumption 29 [rental of Dunfermline Abbey]
Cott 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 428 [see NBN Introduction, Newburnshire]
Coitt 1563 RMS iv no. 1477 [see NBN Introduction, Newburnshire, footnote]
Cotts 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Cotes 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘Robt. Scott Esqr.’]
E. Cotes 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Coats 1827 Ainslie/East Fife [= OS Pathf. Coates House]
West Coates 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. Coates House; shows un-named buildings at OS Pathf. West Coates]
E. Coates 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. East Coates]
East Coates 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
West Coates 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Coates House 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc cot

‘(Farm-)cottages; houses occupied by cottars’. It presumably referred to a division of the lands of Newburn occupied by cottars or small tenants of Dunfermline Abbey. Ainslie/Fife (1775) shows Cotes (referring to OS Pathf. Coates House) and E. Cotes, suggesting that the original centre of the estate was OS Pathf. West Coates or Coates House. On Ainslie/East Fife (1827) only Coats is shown (referring to Coates House); while on SGF (1828) east and west divisions are shown. OS Pathf. 374 (1976) shows East Coates, West Coates and Coates House, which last supplies the above NGR.

    In 1783 the lands of Coats include Mucklet, Magreehill, Locharnie (Lowharney) NBN (Sasines no. 579). These same names appear as Mucklett, Magriehill and Lowheorney (Locharnie) in 1786 (Sasines no. 1478); while in 1801 John Anstruther Thomson of Charleton KCQ was seised ‘in parts of Coats viz. ... lands of Over Mucklet, Nether Mucklet, Magreehill and Lacharney, Craignib Park, Hillend Park’ and others (Sasines no. 5970).[265]

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2