New Inn 1775 Ainslie/Fife
New Inn 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
SSE new + SSE inn
The New Inn was the name of an important coaching inn on the main road north from Kirkcaldy, just south of the point where the road divided to go to Perth (via Falkland and Strathmiglo) on the one hand and Dundee (via Cupar) on the other (Silver 1987, 26). This junction was formerly called Pittillockford (Silver, loc. cit.), since it was where the road crossed the Pittillock Burn, just south of the above-mentioned division of the roads. At this point the burn, which takes its name from nearby Pittillock FAL, forms the parish boundary between FAL and MAI. At the end of the eighteenth century this junction became even more important, when a turnpike road was constructed across the Howe of Fife as a more direct route to Dundee (ibid. 71).
The New Inn itself lay on the east side of the road and south of Pittillockford. Already in the 1850s it was noted that its purpose as a coaching inn was redundant, the railway having replaced the coach as a means of travel north. The stables had been turned into kennels, and the accommodation rented out (OS Name Book 15, 45). It was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the southbound carriageway of the A92 (Silver 1987, 91, with illustration of the New Inn and a stage coach c.1830). The name has survived in the New Inn Roundabout, at which the four roads meet. OS 6 inch (1856) also shows New Inn Hill.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2