Glenrothes MAI S NO273010 1 373
Glenrothes 1948 x 1977 OS 6 inch 1st Imperial Edition
Sc glen + en Rothes
This is the name of a new town, established in 1948 by Parliament: the New Town (Glenrothes) (Development Corporation) Order 1948. The new town as originally planned was to have had its centre at Markinch, but it was later decided to centre it on the farmland between Leslie and Markinch. This neo-urban sprawl is divided into ‘precincts’, sub-sections of the new town, many of which are named after the farms whose lands Glenrothes now occupies, such as Auchmuty MAI, Balfarg MAI, Balgeddie LSL, Cadham LSL, Caskieberran KGL (PNF 1), Collydean LSL, Finglassie, Macedonia, Newcastle (all KGL PNF 1), Pitcairn LSL, Pitcoudie LSL, Pitteuchar KGL (PNF 1), Prestonhall MAI, Rimbleton MAI, South Parks, Stenton, Tanshall, Templeton (all KGL PNF 1) and Woodside MAI.
The name looks like a Gaelic name formed from gleann + en Rothes, but in fact it was newly coined for the new town, and is recognition of the earls of Rothes, who owned part of the land now covered by the new town, and after whom such places as Rothes Mill (1856, OS 6 inch, at NO282015) and Rothes Bleachfield (1856, NO280016) were already named in the nineteenth century. Rothes itself is a town in Moray. For more on the Rothes connection with this part of Fife, which goes back to 1399, see LSL Introduction, From Fettykil to Leslie.
In July 1947 the name of the new town was being considered by a planning committeee. One name suggested had been Westwood, after Joe Westwood, then Secretary of State but shortly to die in a road accident, who had promoted the development of the new town. Another possibility was Rothes, but it was objected that this would be confused with the town of that name in Moray. The addition of the word ‘Glen’ is said to have been suggested by Mr I. Grieve-Lowe of Leslie. The name ‘Glenrothes’ was then suggested by Fife County Council and three town councils to the new Secretary of State, Arthur Woodburn, who had himself been promoting ‘Balgonie’ as the name of the new town. He accepted the name Glenrothes, and in January 1948 published the draft New Town (Glenrothes) Designation Order (Ferguson 1982, 55–7).
Since 1975 Glenrothes has been the administrative centre of Fife Region, later Fife Council. Before that year the county headquarters were in Cupar.
/glɛnˈrɔθəs/ or /glɛnˈrɔθəz/; also locally /glɛnˈrɔhəs/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2