Bandrum # BGY F NT173945 1 95m
Bandrum 1753 Roy sheet 17, 6
Bandrum 1775 Ainslie/Fife
ban Drum 1812 RHP47099
? G baile + G an + G druim
‘Estate of the ridge(s)’. It appears of course too late in the record for us to be certain that this is the name of an estate dating back to G-speaking times. If it is, then the suggested etymology is probably correct. Compare Bandrum SLN.
It lay on the hilly road between Ballingry and Lumphinnans. Although now a farm-track, it was once on an important road (perhaps a continuation of the ‘public causeway which leads to Inverkeithing’ mentioned in the property record of Macbethad and Gruoch discussed in BGY Introduction). By 1812 Bandrum existed only as a set of field-names, having been enclosed as part of the lands of Wester Cartmore BGY (RHP47099).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1