Ballingry

Ballingry BGY PS NT174976 1 384 125m EAF

Ester Balingre 1388 ER iii, 165 [‘et de 5s. per redditum assise de Ester Balingre’]
Richard<us> de Ballingry 1395 St A. Lib. 3
terra de Balhyngry c.1400 St A. Lib. 1
terra ecclesiastica de Balhyngry c.1400 St A. Lib. 1
(William de Ma<i>stertoun rector of the parish church of) Balyngry 1424 CSSR, ii 69
(parish church of) Balhynggram 1461 CSSR v no. 833 [see BGY Introduction]
(John Tyre rector of the parish church of) Balingre 1475 Midl. Chrs. (Holy Trinity) no. 3
Ballingre 1477 RMS ii no. 1335 [to Wardlaw of Torry]
Ballingry 1531 RMS iii no. 1004
ecclesi<a> de Ballingorie 1536 x 1546 RMS iv no. 3
Ballingrie 1616 RMS vii no. 1405 [part of the lands of Wester Lochoreshire; see BGY Introduction]
Ballingrie 1616 RMS vii no. 1405 [advowson of the rectory and vicarage of Ballingry; see BGY Introduction]
Ballingrie 1642 Retours (Fife) no. 619
Ballingary 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Bennigere 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Balingzy K<irk> 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Ballmyris 1656 RMS x no. 556 [the result of a serious transcription error]
Bingary 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Ballingry 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Ballingry Kirk 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Ballingrie 1786 Sasines no. 1389 [‘patronage of the Parish Kirk of Ballingrie’]

G baile + ? G iongrach

‘Oozing estate’? The name probably relates to the fact that there are several springs along the slopes above Ballingry to the west, including the famous Growokys Wel (NGR NT168976) first mentioned in c.1400 (St A. Lib. 1), and probably the only Scottish place-name to contain the name of Queen Gruoch, wife of King Macbethad (see BGY Introduction). The water from this well and other nearby springs has now been conduited. The farm-name Ingrie LSL, seven km to the north-east, appears to derive from the same word as the specific of Ballingry, that is from G iongrach ‘suppurating, oozing’ (G iongar ‘pus’). Ingrie has a similar situation, on the southern slopes of the Lomonds, and before drainage channels were built around the fields above it, its lands would also have been especially soggy.

The terra ecclesiastica of Ballingry mentioned in the boundary charter of St A. Lib. (1) translates the Sc kirkland, and refers to land, part of which is now occupied by Kirkland Farm. Note, however, that the Kirklands were more extensive than the present-day farm of that name, and extended over most of the land now occupied by Ballingry village (see, for example, RHP1711 and 3343).

The above NGR is of Ballingry parish kirk, now in Ballingry village. This is probably also the original site of the settlement of Ballingry. OS Pathf. Ballingry Farm (= Ballingry House 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.) is at NT169979, on the south-eastern slopes of Benarty, at a height of 165 m, 65 m above and slightly to the north-west of the parish kirk. It does not appear on earlier maps, unless it is Hillhead of Ainslie/Fife (1775) and Ainslie/West Fife (1827).

/baˈlɪŋgərɪ/ or /bəˈlɪŋgərɪ/, locally /bəˈlɪŋərɪ/, older /ˈbɪŋərɪ/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1