Balcurvie

Balcurvie MAI S NO344008 1 373 45m SOF

(Robert of) Balcurhacwy 1310 x 1327 SAUL MS 37490 no. 1
(lands of) Balcurroquhy 1488 RMS ii no. 1717 [Durie family; with mill]
(lands of) Balcrowy 1507 RMS ii no. 3069 [defined as consisting of Meikle and Little Balcurvie, ‘with the lands of Haugh’ (cum terris de Hauch) MAI and the mill of the same; Durie (Dury) famly]
Mekle et Litle Balcrowy 1507 RMS ii no. 3069 [see preceding]
(lands of) Balcirrowy Mekle & Litill 1545 RMS iii no. 3061 [lands of Balcurvie Meikle and Little, lands of Haugh (Hauch) MAI with mills etc; Durie family]
(lands of) Balcurryquhy-Mekill 1554 Retours (Fife) no. 26 [in barony of Durie SCO, q.v.]
(lands of) Balcurryquhy-Litill 1554 Retours (Fife) no. 26 [in barony of Durie]
Litle Balcurroquhey c.1560 s Purves 154 [?1]
Meikle Balcurroquhey c.1560 s Purves 154 [?5]
Ballcurvie Majoyr 1587 Assumption 15
Ballcurvie Minor 1587 Assumption 15
Balcurvehauch 1587 Assumption 15 [in margin, clarifying Bawenevy Haugh]
(lands of) Balcruveis 1614 Retours (Fife) no. 230 [‘viz. Mekill Balcruvie et Little Balcruvie’]
terris de Balcurvies 1614 RMS vii no. 1097
Litill et Mekill Balcurvies 1614 RMS vii no. 1097 [‘with the grain mill built on said lands of Balcurvies called New Durie Mill, the mill-lands etc.’ (cum molendino granorum super dict. terris de Balcurvies edificato nuncupato New-Durie-mylne, terris molendinariis etc.); part of lands and barony of Durie SCO]
Balcorvies Mekell et Littell 1644 Retours (Fife) no. 680 [lands of Haugh and Haughmill (Hauch et Hauchmylne) MAI, lands of Balcurvie Meikle and Little, and the lands of Duniface (Donyface) MAI]
Balurby 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [obviously a transcription error, though it correctly reproduces Gordon MS Fife (1642) Balurby]
Balcurvy 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Lower Balkirvie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Upper Balkirvie 1775 Ainslie/Fife

G baile + G currach + ? – in

‘Farm of the bog or boggy ground place’. The word currach ‘bog’ is also found in Currie MLO etc. (see Watson 1926, 144, 202). Although Balcurvie lies on a well-drained slope of a 65 m hill, its approaches are dominated by water-courses or boggy ground, which lie to its north, east and south. The final syllable is probably from the common locational suffix –in ‘place of’.

    Balcurvie was divided into Little and Meikle Balcurvie by the early sixteenth century (RMS ii no. 3069).

    OS Pathf. Bankhead of Balcurvie is simply Bankhead on Ainslie/Fife (1775), Bank Head on SGF (1828) and OS 6 inch (1856). OS Pathf. also shows Balcurvie Muir, Balcurvie Smallholdings and Balcurvie House (NO343013).

    /bəlˈkʌrvɪ/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2