Auchmuty

Auchmuty MAI S NO279009 1 373 70m

Auchmowtie 1240 St A. Lib. 179 [cain to the canons of Lochleven]
Auchmotie 1248 St A. Lib. 121 [cain to the canons of Lochleven]
Admulty 1279 x 1297 St A. Lib. 177
Admulthy 1306 x 1329 Dunf. Reg. no. 352 [see Fettykil LSL, above]
Admulty 1413 St A. Lib. 16
Admulty 1466 Dunf. Reg. no. 458 [marches of Auchmuty and Dunfermline abbey’s lands of Goatmilkshire KGL]
David de Admulti 1466 Dunf. Reg. no. 458 [of that ilk]
(Henry) Auchmowty 1535 RMS iii no. 1502
(lands of) Auchmowty 1535 RMS iii no. 1502 [reserving for his father Alexander Auchmuty (Auchmowty) one third of all the lands of Auchmuty with the new barn and its new byres (cum novo orreo et Newbyris eiusdem)]
Awchmawtie 1587 Assumption 15
(lands of) Auchmutie 1615 Retours (Fife) no. 235 [David Auchmuty (Auchmutie) of Easter Fernie (Eister-ferny) MML]
Auchmoutie 1643 NAS GD26/4/796
the laird of Auchmoutie 1650 Lamont’s Diary 10 [‘dyed of a hydropsie in his oune house, Hahill’]
Achmutie 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
lands of Achmowtie 1670 Lamont’s Diary 223 [the earl of Rothes bought them from George Gibson]
Achmuty 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Auchmooty 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Auchmoutie 1781 Sasines no. 40 [‘Alburn of Wandersknows in part of Auchmoutie called Wandersknows’]
North Auchmuta 1811 RHP3640 [field-name; also shows fields called South Auchmuta and Auchmuta Mill]
Auchmuty 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also shows Auchmuty Mill at NO277017]

G àth + G mult + ? – in

‘Place at the wether-ford’; the ford was over the River Leven. While assimilation to Auch-, from G achadh ‘field’, appears relatively early, the bulk of early forms given above show that the first element was G àth ‘ford’. A similar process of assimilation can be seen in the change from Admore (c.1100) to modern Auchmuir KGL (PNF 1), also on the Leven, six km to the west.

    In the medieval period there was also a bridge over the Leven at around NO280017, where the KGL/MAI boundary meets the river. It is already described as an old bridge in a charter of 1466, by which a long-running dispute was settled between the lairds of Auchmuty and Dunfermline Abbey regarding the marches of their respective lands of Auchmuty and Goatmilkshire KGL (Dunf. Reg. no. 458). The marches are settled and described as follows: ‘beginning at the south-east part of the lands of Auchmuty at the place commonly called the *Yochry Den.[207] And thus going up as the stones are situated and placed beside the arable land and ?pits[208] of Auchmuty as far as the three large stones placed as a march of those same lands (of Auchmuty) on the west. And from here turning towards the north and going down as the stones are situated with the pit as far as the end and place of the old bridge over the water of Leven and as far as the middle of that water’.[209]

    Auchmuty is now part of Glenrothes New Town and has no clear centre, so the precise NGR above is from the farm of Auchmuty on the 1856 OS map. While the lands of Auchmuty were bounded by the River Leven on the north, the farm steading itself was not on the river but lay a short distance due east of Glenrothes Town Centre.

    The eponymous ford (G àth) of Auchmuty probably crossed the Leven at or near where Balbirnie Brig now stands (Markinch 2011, 4).

    /ɔxˈmjutɪ/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2