Walton ATL S NT200906 1 385 150m NOF
Weltoun 1539 RMS iii no. 2264
Waltoun 1590 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 216
Weltoun 1597 Retours (Fife) no. 1538 [Agnes Balmanno, in half the lands of Walton in the barony of Auchtertool (in dimidietate terrarum de Weltoun in baronia de Auchtertule)]
Wellton 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Welltoun 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Welltou<n> 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Walltown 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
East Wallton 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Waltown 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Sc wall + Sc toun
‘Well farm’. This was a subdivision of the episcopal estate of Auchtertool. See also Craigton and Newton, above.
Before it disappeared beneath the Mossmorran ethylene plant it was referred to locally as The Walton.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1