Bancliro # LSL S NO252021 2
Balclerache 1441 RMS ii no. 268
Balclerache 1441 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 51
Bauclero 1535 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 232 [probably for Banclero]
Banclero 1557 NAS NP1/19 no. 87 [George Oliphant in Bancliro]
Bacclero 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 218 [=Assumption 62; set in feu for ?5]
Burneclyro 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 222 [set in feu for ?5]
Banclero 1581 RMS v no. 168
Barinclero 1601 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 224
Balcliro 1605 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 227 [‘landis of Balcliro and Kirkcroft of Leslie’]
Banclero 1614 RMS vii no. 994
Bancliro 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1029
G baile + G an + G clèireach
‘Farm of the cleric or clerics’ (baile a’ chlèirich or baile nan clèireach). Early forms suggest that the name existed in two forms, one with and one without the definite article. This is comparable with Bassaguard SSL, PNF 3.
The name can be compared with Ballencleroch (Balneglerauch c.1200 Glasg. Reg. i no. 103), Campsie STL; Pittencleroch, Fowlis Wester PER (Watson 1926, 267); and *Achadh nan Clèireach in the Gaelic Notes in the Book of Deer (Jackson 1972, and Taylor, forthcoming (Book of Deer)).
By 1441 Bancliro belonged to Inchcolm Abbey, along with other lands in LSL (Inchcolm Chrs. no. 51). There is no record of when these lands came into Inchcolm’s possession, but the abbey had the right of patronage of Fettykil parish church by c.1263 (ibid. no. 25). However, it is unlikely to have been before 1239, when the bishops of Dunkeld wanted to make Fettykil a prebendal church of Dunkeld (ibid. no. 18). It is most probably the clerics of Dunkeld who are the eponymous clerics of Bancliro. That the name is Gaelic shows that this association is unlikely to have been much later than the early thirteenth century, and is probably a good deal earlier.
Bancliro is closely associated with Kirkcroft of Leslie (e.g. Inchcolm Chrs. 227), and it can be assumed that both were in the vicinity of the parish kirk. They may well represent what later became known as the glebe. Leslie glebe lay west of the kirk and north-east of the Cambo Brig, on the east side of the Falkland Road (known as the Big Road), and it is this that has supplied the above NGR.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2