Balquhomrie

Balquhomrie LSL S NO235031 2 170m

(John Todd in) Balquhomry 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 217
(half the lands of) South-Baquhumry 1519 RMS iii no. 185 [occupied by David Hunter (Huntar), Alex. Tod and John Martin (Martyne), in the barony of Leslie; Robert Durie (Dury) of that ilk exchanged with John Stirling of Keir (Kere) (some of) Durie’s lands in Strathearn for Stirling’s Leslie land]
(Christine Kilgour in) Balquhombry 1519 Fife Ct. Bk. 142
(John Tod in) Mekil Balquhombry 1519 Fife Ct. Bk. 142
(John Tod in) Balquhomry 1522 Fife Ct. Bk. 272
Little Balquhomrye 1522 Fife Ct. Bk. 272 [‘Little Balquhomrye, the Hoyll (Holl LSL) & Furmand hillis (Formonthills LSL) in maister Johne Hepburnis handis the taxt tharof ?4 10 s.’]
? Balquhenry 1534 Dunf. Reg. no. 522 [or is this a by-form of Strathenry LSL? See below, under Strathenry, for more details]
Balchumrie 1542 RMS iii no. 2809
the landis of Southt Balquhomre 1556 NAS RH2/1/23/3 no. 33
(lands of) Mekill et Littill Balquhumries 1642 Retours (Fife) no. 619 [part of the barony of Leslie]
Balwh...humrie 1642 Gordon MS Fife [also L. Balwhumrie]
Balewhomrie 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
L. Balewhomrie 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Balhumry 1775 Ainslie/Fife [= OS Pathf. Meikle Balquhomrie]
Balhumry or Balwhimry 1810 RHP3595
Balwhimry 1811 RHP3640

G baile + (? G an ) + G comrach

‘Farm of the place of (the) confluence’ (baile chomraich or baile a’ chomraich). For a discussion of the specific, which is found in place-names such as Comrie CUS (PNF 1) and Comrie PER, see Watson 1926, 476.

    The division of the estate into Little and Meikle Balquhomrie, which exists today, already appears in the early sixteenth century. The water system around the farms has been altered not only by drainage improvements, but also by the building of Holl Reservoir. However, Little Balquhomrie still lies near the confluence of the Lothrie and Balgillie Burns, while on SGF (1828) Meikle Balquhomrie lies immediately south of the confluence of the Lothrie and a tributary which seems now to have disappeared.

    The 1534 form Balquhenry probably refers to this place, with the second element influenced by the second element of the important nearby estate of Strathenry LSL, which occurs in the same charter.

    /bəlˈhumrɪ/ or /bəˈhumrɪ/.[180]

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2