Kame LAR S NO385076 1 373 150m WEF
le Kame 1528 ER xv 661 [in barony of Lundin (Lundy)]
Kame 1540 RMS iii no. 2147 [part of barony of Lundin; see LAR Introduction]
Kame 1554 RMS iv no. 977 [part of barony of Lundin]
the Kayme of Londe 1545 x 1555 N. Berwick Cart. p. xxii
(lands of) Kene 1600 Retours (Fife) no. 84 [part of barony of Lundin (Lundy)]
(lands of) Kenie 1605 Retours (Fife) no. 161 [3 minims of m misread as ni]
Keame 1607 RMS vi no. 1972
Keam 1623 RMS viii no. 464 [part of the lands and barony of Lundin]
Keam 1623 Retours (Fife) no. 1561
Combe of Lundine 1632 RMS viii no. 1968
(lands of) Keame 1648 Retours (Fife) no. 753 [part of the barony of Lundin]
Kames 1775 Ainslie/Fife [also shows Kamesford at OS Pathf. Kame Bridge]
Keam 1796 RHP3523 [one of the three farms on the lands of Pratis LAR, q.v.]
Keams 1828 SGF [shown in CER at NO393073, probably in error]
Keam Br<idge> 1828 SGF
Kame 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also shows Kame Bridge]
‘Comb, comb-like ridge of land’. The early forms show that it was part of the farm of Pratis, barony of Lundin LAR, and was also called *Kame of Lundin. The eponymous ridge is probably the one to the east of Kame, on which Carskerdo CER and Cassendilly CER stand. Both these names contain G gasg ‘ridge, tail of land’, and probably refer to the same feature as Kame.
SGF is probably wrong in showing Keams at NO393073 beside Greenside CER, on the lands of Carskerdo CER.
OS Pathf. also shows Kame Burn, and Kame Bridge where the Craigrothie to Kennoway road (A 916) crosses the Kame Burn (the upper reaches of the Glassy How Burn), which here forms the parish boundary between LAR and CER. The bridge at this crossing was earlier a ford, hence Ainslie/Fife (1775) Kamesford at the same site (Kameford 1827 Ainslie/East Fife), and Fordhouse, at or near OS Pathf. Union CER. The important old route to St Andrews from the south-west, through Kennoway and Ceres, passed about a kilometre to the west, along the western edge of the lands of Montrave, across Clatto Den, then through Muirhead and Denhead CER. The new route through Kame was completed in the early 1790s (Silver 1987, 41), and is shown on the plan of 1796 (RHP3523).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2