Hatton

Hatton LAR S NO404044 1 374 60m

Haltoun 1486 RMS ii no. 1631
Haltoun de Balcormok 1486 RMS ii no. 1633
Haltoun de Balcormo 1486 RMS ii no. 1634
Hawtoun 1528 ER xv 661 [‘and pertinents’ (et pertinentiis) in barony of Lundin (Lundy)]
Haltoun 1540 RMS no. 2147 [part of the barony of Lundin]
Haltoun 1554 RMS iv no. 977 [Haltoun et Balcormo]
(lands of) Haltone 1600 Retours (Fife) no. 84 [part of the barony of Lundin]
(lands of) Haltoun 1605 Retours (Fife) no. 161
the Hatton 1654 Lamont’s Diary 65 [‘Andro Henderson .., nou dwelling in the Hatton’]
Hatton 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1 [possibly Halton; also shows Hatton Muirtown]
Hatton 1775 Ainslie/Fife [possibly Halton]
Hattonlow 1785 Sasines no. 1124 [‘Alexander Wallace, Lintdresser, Hattonlow, in part of the park called Wester Ibracks’; two more occurrences of this name, same form, in Sasines up to 1820]
Hatton 1828 SGF
Hatton Law 1828 SGF [settlement]
Hatton 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Hattonlaw 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [settlement; also Hatton Law; see discussion]
Halton 1899 OS 1 inch 2nd edn [sic]
Hatton Law 1899 OS 1 inch 2nd edn [settlement]

Sc hall + Sc toun

‘Hall or big house farm’. This was obviously where at one time the big house or hall of Balcormo stood. See also Balcormo LAR.

    Cunningham calls OS Pathf. Hatton Burn ‘Carlhurlie burn’ (1907, 38). OS Pathf. also shows Hatton Den and Hatton Law, the latter as a hill rising to the north-east of Little Pilmuir. OS 6 inch (1855) marks the hill of Hatton Law rising to the east of Little Pilmuir, and a building called Hattonlaw (on the roadside close to Little Pilmuir at NO408039), which now seems to be part of Little Pilmuir. 1969 OS 1 inch map shows Hattonlaw as a building at the roadside opposite Little Pilmuir. On 1995 OS Landranger (1:50,000) Hatton Law appears to refer to this building. On OS Pathf. and OS Explorer (2001) Hatton Law refers only to the hill.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2