Gilston LAR S NO4407 2
Gylstoun 1500 TA ii, 15 [the late Alexander McLellan (Alexandri Maklelane) of Gilston]
Gillestoun 1508 RSS i no. 1762
Gylstoun 1528 ER xv 661 [with its pertinents]
Gylstoun 1538 RMS iii no. 1859 [to David Ramsay, the shady half of the lands of Gilston, and some of the other half, which once belonged to Walter Lundin (Lundy) of that ilk, held of the king ‘by service of ward’ (per servitium warde); details of valuation carried out by an assize consisting of local gentry]
Gelstoun 1540 RMS iii no. 2147 [part of barony of Lundin]
Gilstoun 1543 RMS iii. no. 2864
teynd of Gilstoun 1545 x 1555 N. Berwick Cart. p. xxiii [Alexander Hume (Hoyme) of the Heuch (Hewch), for the teind of Gilston]
Gilstoun 1573 Assumption 145 [rental of North Berwick Priory]
(lands of) Gilstone 1600 Retours (Fife) no. 84 [in barony of Lundin (Lundy)]
(lands of) Gilstoun 1603 Retours (Fife) no. 128 [in barony of Lundin (Lundie)]
Gilstoun 1607 RMS vi no. 1972 [James Lundy, in barony of Lundin (Lundy)]
Gilstone 1652 Lamont’s Diary 40
Gilston 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Gilstoun 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1 [also appears as Gilston, see above]
Guilston Backmuir 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1 [OS Pathf. Backmuir of New Gilston]
Gilston 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Newtown of Gilston 1775 Ainslie/Fife [OS Pathf. Backmuir of New Gilston]
Gilston Coalpits 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Guilston 1785 Guilston House Plan 1
East Gilston 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. East Gilston Mains LAR]
Gilston Farm 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. West Gilston Mains LAR]
Gilston House 1828 SGF [NBN]
New Gilston 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. Backmuir of New Gilston LAR]
Guilston 1829 RHP320
New Guilston 1829 RHP320
? pn Gilli + Sc toun
‘Gilli’s farm’? Despite a lack of early forms, the personal name is probably Anglo-Scandinavian Gilli, found also in Gilston MLO (Nicolaisen 1967, 229).
The original lands of Gilston lay in LAR. This is supported by several references to Gilston being in the barony of Lundin LAR, and confirmed by Gilston House Plan 1 (1785), which shows Gilston marching on the south-east with Lathallan (Lathalland) NBN, along the LAR/NBN boundary. Interestingly, the field on the east side of this boundary, at NO445067, is called Harewheel by the current owner, Edward Baxter, and appears as Hareweel on Gilston House Plan 2 (1808). This name probably contains Sc hare ‘boundary, march’, and refers to either the Lathallan/Gilston or the NBN/LAR boundary, or both.
Gilston House, however, is in NBN, on the lands of Wester Lathallan NBN, which see for more details.
OS Pathf. has Gilston Farm, Gilston House, Gilston Cottages (NBN); East Gilston Mains, West Gilston Mains, New Gilston and the village of Backmuir of New Gilston (LAR).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2