Lochhead

Lochhead ATL BGY S NT191914 2 145m

(one third of the lands of) Lochhede 1432 Fraser, Wemyss ii no. 48 [part of the western part of the barony of Lochquhore]
? (lands of a third part of) Lochheid 1531 x 1532 Dunf. Reg. no. 516 [in a long list of lands held by Scott of Balwearie; probably Lochhead ATL, rather than Lochhead DFL]
Lochtheid 1557 x 1585 RMS v no. 898 [a march of Beath-Bell BEA q.v.]
Locheheid 1605 RMS vi no. 1658 [part of the barony of Wester Lochoreshire (Loquhorschyre)]
Lochheid 1616 RMS vii no. 1405 [part of the lands of Wester Lochoreshire; see BGY Introduction]
(lands of) Locheid 1625 RMS viii no. 779 [with the manor of the place, coal-heuchs (carbonibus), lime-stones (lie lyme-stanis), and the loch called Loch Gelly (Lochgellie) in the barony of Wester Lochorschyre alias Inchegall]
Lochheide 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Loch heid 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Lochhead 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Lochhead 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
E Lochend 1775 Ainslie/Fife
W Lochend 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Lochhead 1786 Sasines no. 1389
East Lochhead 1828 SGF
West Lochhead 1828 SGF

Sc loch + Sc heid

‘The head or end of a loch’. The loch in question is Loch Gelly, and the lands of Lochhead are to the west of that loch. They were divided (perhaps as late as the eighteenth century) into Easter Lochhead and Wester Lochhead (which see). They are shown on Ainslie/Fife 1775 as E Lochend and W Lochend, probably the result of confusion with Lochend ADN (OS Pathf. NT208926), at the east end of Loch Gelly, also shown (as Lochend) by Ainslie/Fife.

The lands of Easter and Wester Lochhead were disjoined from BGY and annexed to ATL in 1649 (see PNF 1 BGY Introduction).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1