Drummochy LAR S NO414025 1 374 10m
villa de Drummoquhy 1540 RMS iii no. 2147 [see discussion]
Drummochee 1701 Cunningham 1907, 47 [quoting the Kirk Session of Nov. 1701: James Smith in Drummochy]
Drumochy 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Drumochy 1790s OSA, 569
Dummochie 1799 Sasines no. 5484
Drumochy 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Drumochy 1828 SGF
Drumochie House 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? G druim +
The first element is clearly G druim ‘ridge’. The second part of the name may consist of the adjectival and locational suffixes (-ach + -in) meaning ‘ridge-place, place on or characterised by one or more ridges’. If this was the case, then the stress would originally have been on the initial syllable. Today the stress is on the second syllable, but the 1701 form suggests that at that time it was pronounced with equal stress on the initial and final syllables.
The vill or town of Drummochy is created a free burgh of barony within the mains lands of Lundin (Lundyne) ‘on the west side of the Largo Burn’ (ex occidentali latere torrentis de Largo) in favour of Walter (of) Lundy (1540 RMS iii no. 2147).
The NGR given is for Drumochie House on 1855 map.
/drʌmˈɔxɪ/ or /drʌˈmɔxɪ/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2