Baldastard LAR S NO421069 1 374 125m SOF
Baldastard 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [among lands of the church of St Andrews]
Baldarscart c.1550 N. Berwick Cart. p. xxiii [Janat Lundie (Londe) of Baldastard]
Baldastard 1573 Assumption 145 [rental of North Berwick Priory]
Baldasurd 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
John Irland of Badastart 1659 Lamont’s Diary 118 [he died there]
lands of Badastart 1660 Lamont’s Diary 120 [John Lundy in Balcormo Mill (Bacormo mille) LAR married Barbara Irland, daughter of the late John Irland of Baldastard (Badastart) ‘with ane eye to haue the lands of Baldastart with hir’]
Baderstart 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Baldestert 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Baldestard 1829 RHP320
Baldastard 1838 Baldastard Plan
Baldastard 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also Baldastard Mains]
G baile + ? G an + ? G astar
‘Farm of the route-way’? The medial d may well be the remains of the older definite article ind- before a m. (or n.) sing. noun in the gen. beginning with a vowel or lenited f (as for example in Ballindean BMO PNF 4, which contains fàn). If so, then the specific element might be G astar, gen. sg. astair, ‘journey; way, path’ (OIr astar or aister ‘journey, travel’). We know from an early fourteenth-century charter that one of the pilgrim routes (‘the public way which is called in Scots Pilgrim Gait (Pilgrymgath)’) to St Andrews did in fact pass along or close to the northern edge of the lands of Baldastard (SAUL MS 37490, no. 1, for the full text of which see CER Introduction, above).
OS Pathf. also has Baldastard Mains at NO414077.
/balˈdastərd/, /bəlˈdastərd/ locally /bəlˈdɛstərd/ etc.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2