Parkwell KTT S NO318067 1 373 120m NWF
Parkwell 1767 RHP23507
Parkwell 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Parkwell 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
SSE park + SSE well
‘A well in or beside a field’. Given the late appearance of this name in the record, the assumption is that park is being used in its modern Scots and Scottish Standard English sense of ‘field’ rather than in its older Sc meaning of ‘land enclosed for hunting’. OS 6 inch 1st edn (1856) shows a pump and well c. 200 m to the north-west, and a pump c. 200 m to the north. There is no well shown any closer to the buildings of Parkwell.
Mrs Armit, born and brought up at nearby Hilton Hill Farm KTT in the early twentieth century, always referred to Parkwell as ‘Scance’ or ‘Scants’ (never with a definite article). Mr George Aitken, formerly of Kettlebridge, whose father lived at nearby Coalpitden KTT, remembers his father referring to Parkwell as ‘Scant Robin’. It is unclear why this name was given, but it may have been a nick-name or by-name for an inhabitant of the place.
Parkwell is now a ruin.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2