Chapel KTT S NO313072 1 373 90m WEF

Chapelkettill 1587 Assumption 10 [one of the lands of St Andrews Priory, leased for ?4]
Chapell Kettill 1587 Assumption 18 [in a list of lands belonging to St Andrews Priory, feued to John Arnott (Arnocht) for ?5 12 d.]
Chappel-Kettill 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [among St Andrews Priory lands]
Chepillkettill 1613 Retours (Fife) no. 1550 [John Arnott of Chapel Kettle, rights in the mains lands of ‘Inglistarvit now called Scotstarvit’ (Inglistarvett nunc Scottistarvett nuncupatis) CER, TVX]
Chapell 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Chapell of Ketyll 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Chapel 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [Kings Ketill and Chapel]
Chapell 1684 Adair/East Fife
Chapple 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Chapel 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Chapple 1793 RHP2581
Chapel 1828 SGF

Sc chapel

The chapel was the chapel of Kettle, referred to frequently in early charters from the late twelfth century onwards (for which see KTT Introduction, Lathrisk and Kettle, and Kettle, below). Note also OS Pathf., besides Chapel, has Chapel Farm and Chapel Den, which appears as Cuthel Dean in 1796 (RHP4454; for more details see KTT Introduction). OS Name Book states that ‘it has derived its name from an old chapel that was adjacent, but neither the site nor any trace of it can now be pointed out’ (16, 58).

    OS 6 inch 1st edn (1856) also shows Chapelcotton 500 m east of Chapel at NO318073.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2