Balmalcolm KTT S NO319084 1 373
Balmacolm c.1750 Roy (P.C.)
Ballmalcom 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Balmalcolm 1760 x 1799 Sasines no. 5500 [Sasine dated 1799: Alexander Henderson feuar in Balmalcolm in a piece of ground in Easter Balmalcolm called Nether Smiddylands and houses thereon; and 1 acre and 15 roods of the lands of Wester Ballingall, parish of Kettle ... disponed by William Henderson, wright, Balmalcolm in 1760]
Easter Balmalcolm 1782 Sasines no. 354
Balmalcom 1793 RHP2581 [‘A plan and division of the commonty of Drummie’: one of the divisons is ‘Mr Wemyss for Balmalcom’]
Balmalcolm 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Balmalcom 1828 SGF [also B. Cottage]
Balmalcolm 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Balmalcolm Cottage 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Balmalcolm Den 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [between Balmalcolm and Airdits]
Balmalcolm Bank 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [at NO322079]
It is very unlikely that this is an early name containing G baile ‘farm’. Rather, it was probably modelled on the name Ballingall, on whose lands it lay. It is the name of a small eighteenth-century road-side village, on the A92 New Inn to Cupar road between Kettlebridge and Pitlessie CLT. It is already represented as a small laid-out settlement on Roy (1753). The name is absent on Ainslie/Fife 1775, but appears on Ainslie/East Fife 1827, as does the village itself. It seems to have been built on feued lands of Ballingall KTT. It is not mentioned in sources earlier than the mid-eighteenth century.
OS Pathf. shows Balmalcolm Old Manse, Balmalcolm Farm and Balmalcolm Cottage. The site of OS Pathf. Balmalcolm Farm is shown on the 1856 OS map as Wester Ballingall.
See under Bowden KTT for information on Balmalcolm Bank and Balmalcolm Den.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2