Ballingall # KTT S NO317085 2
villa de Balnegal 1294 Stevenson, Documents i, 416 [part of Cuparshire and Rathilletshire]
Ballyngall 1451 ER v, 469 [listed between Markinch and Cameron MAI; ‘and of 13 s. 4 d. from the fermes of the king’s property of Ballingall; and of 9 s. 6 d. from the annual rent of the said toun; and of ?4 of the remaining part of the said toun which is in ward from the computed year’ (et de 13 s. 4 d. de firmis proprietatis regis de Ballyngall. Et de 9 s. 6 d. de annuo redditu dicte ville. Et de ?4 relique partis dicte ville, in warda existentis de anno computi)]
(lands of) Bangall 1457 RMS ii no. 608 [Constantine Corbet to David Grundiston burgess of Cupar]
(lands of) Ballingale 1487 RMS ii no. 1683 [Thomas Anderson (Androsoun) citizen of Cupar and lord portioner of Ballingall (Ballingale) to his relative Walter Heriot of Lathones (Lathone) CMN, his lands of Ballingall (an 18th part)]
terras suas de Ballingale 1489 RMS ii no. 1880 [William Rollok of Findony (Fyndenew), Dunning PER (see also RMS ii no. 3634), lord portioner of Ballingall (Ballingale) to Walter Heriot of Lathones (Lathone) CMN, ‘his lands of Ballingall’ viz ‘two thirds of a 3rd part of the same’ (binam partem unius tertie partis earundem)]
Ballingall 1505 RMS ii no. 2851 [Thomas Grundiston (Grundistoun) of Kingask (Kyngask) CUP and lord portioner of Ballingall to Walter Heriot of Burnturk (Burnturk) his lands of Ballingall]
binam partem de Ballingall 1512 RMS ii no. 3742 [Walter Heriot, ‘two thirds of Ballingall’ in the lands of Burnturk KTT, which see for more details]
Ballingall c.1560 s Purves 155 [?2]
half Ballingall 1587 Assumption 21 [one of the lands in Lathrisk parish; see also ibid. 14]
Ballingall 1587 Assumption 14 [teind sheaves of St Andrews Priory, Ramornie (Ramorgny), Burnturk (Burneturk) KTT and Ballingall]
binam suam partem terrarum de Ballingall 1603 RMS vii no. 590 [Walter Heriot feuar of Ramornie KTT (Ramornie) sells to Christine Sandilands his spouse in life rent ‘his two thirds of the lands of Ballingall’, the whole manor-place of Newwark (Newwork) with a piece of land lying between the mill-lead of Ramornie (Ramorgny) and the river Eden (aquam de Edin), and the lands of Pitrachnie # (Pitrauchie) KTT etc.]
in bina parte terrarum de Ballingall 1615 Retours (Fife) no. 238 [Walter Heriot of Ramornie, ‘in two thirds of the lands of Ballingall’]
Bango 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Balnaga 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Ballingall Easter and Wester 1665 RMS xi no. 755 [
Ballingall 1678 Retours (Fife) no. 1166 [Jean Heriot, wife of John Craig, heir of George Heriot of Ramornie (Ramorney) (her father), ‘in two thirds of the lands of Ballingall; in the other third of the said lands of Ballingall’ (2 tertiis partibus terrarum de Ballingall; alia tertia parte dictarum terrarum de Ballingall)]
Balinga 1684 Adair/East Fife
Ballingall c.1750 Roy (P.C.)
Mongau 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Easter Ballingal 1814 Sasines no. 10019
Wester Ballingall 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G baile + G an + G gall
‘Farm of the foreigners’. For the significance of gall, which probably refers to people of Scandinavian origin, see Taylor 1995a, 142 ff. For the suggestion that in some place-names containing gall the element may be gall ‘pillar-stone’ (Old Irish) and ‘rock, stone’ (modern Gaelic), see Morgan 2005, 9.
On OS 6 inch 1st edn (1856) only Wester Ballingall is marked at NO319086; on OS 6 inch 1st revision (1888 × 1914) this site is named as Balmalcolm Farm, which name it retains on OS Pathf. and OS Explorer. Ballingall is not named on Ainslie/Fife (1775), Ainslie/East Fife (1827) or SGF (1828). It had already been divided into Easter and Wester by 1814 (Sasines no. 10019).
The family Ballingall of that ilk, which first appear in 1478 (NAS Calendar of Charters no. 475), seem to be connected with Ballingall LSL rather than this one, although it is not totally clear. They are also mentioned in 1526 (RMS iii no. 362). Coincidentally, and confusingly, Walter Heriot of Burnturk, a portioner of Ballingall KTT, also held Ballingall LSL (but not its mill) in 1522 (Fife Ct. Bk. 272; for more details see Ballingall LSL).
The Heriot family held the lands of Ballingall for over two centuries, starting with a grant of one eighteenth of the lands of Ballingall (Ballingale) in 1487 to Walter Heriot of Lathones (Lathone) CMN. This Walter obtained a further two ninths of Ballingall in 1489, and in 1501 he was granted the lands of Burnturk, after which he appears in charters as Walter of Burnturk (RMS ii nos. 1683, 1880, 2593). He acquired other lands in KTT: more of Ballingall in 1505 and Ramornie (Ramorgany) in 1512 (along with Lawfield CLS). These lands together with a quarter of Glasslie FAL were inherited by his son, also called Walter, all in the barony of Burnturk (RMS ii nos. 2851, 3741). Walter II sold all these to Andrew Heriot, son of James Heriot of Trabroun ELO (1557 RMS iv no. 1147), and twenty years later Walter II’s bastard son, also called Walter, was given letters of legitimation two days before receiving the grant of the whole lands and barony of Burnturk, viz Burnturk, two thirds of Ballingall and a quarter of Glasslie FAL. In 1687, the Heriots of Ramornie still held Ballingall, and many other lands: Jean Heriot married one John Craig, and their son, in order to inherit the estate, changed his name to Heriot (in conformity with a condition laid down by George Heriot in 1665, RMS xi no. 755).
Note the different generic (Mon- for Bal(li)n) on Roy 1753. This can be discounted as a genuine by-form of Ballingall as it occurs only on Roy, which is full of errors arising from the misunderstanding of surveyors unfamiliar with both the local names and the local language. It probably arose from a mis-hearing of ‘bangall’, which may well have been pronounced locally as if spelled ‘bongall’.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2