Torloisk KWY S NO345051 1 373 190m SOF
Torloisk 1828 SGF
Torleask 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Torloisk 1899 OS 1 inch 2nd edn
en Torloisk or G tòrr + G loisgte
The G name Torloisk means ‘burnt hill’. However, it looks suspiciously like a transferred name, perhaps from Torloisk in north-west Mull, -ois- probably deriving from G orthography. If it had been a name coined in Fife Gaelic, it would have developed as Torlosk or perhaps Torloshk.
It is shown on OS Pathf. on Devon Common, the remains of an area of land marked as Devon Common on OS 6 inch (1856) which then straddled the KTT/KWY boundary. OS Name Book (16, 52) states that it is on Devon Common and is owned by Miss Lundin of Auchtermarnie.
OS Pathf. also shows Torloisk Wood.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2