Lalathan KWY S NO344042 1 175m

Lalethine 1516 Fife Ct. Bk. 48 [David Balfour of Lalathan]
Lalethin 1517 RMS iii no. 148 col. 3 [to George Leslie earl of Rothes; part of the barony of Ballinbreich FLK]
Lalethin 1525 RMS iii no. 315
Lalethin 1539 RMS iii no. 1992
Lalathyne 1587 Assumption 15 [St Andrews Priory, teind sheaves]
Lalethyne 1603 Retours (Fife) no. 128
Lalathin 1642 Retours (Fife) no. 619 [John earl of Rothes, barony of Leslie]
Lalethin 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Laletham 1653 Retours (Fife) no. 805 [John Pitcairne]
Laletthin 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Laleathin 1665 Lamont’s Diary 183
Relethen 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Laletham 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Lalathen 1795 RHP2580 [applying to two parts of Devon (Dovan) Common held respectively by Capt. Lundin and Mr Balfour]
Lalathan 1828 SGF
Lalathan 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [shown twice, see below]
East Lalathan 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [at site of OS Pathf. White Cottage]

G leth + G leathan

‘Broad half, half of a broad hill-side’. For the development of leth to la- in unstressed syllables, see Ladeddie CER, SSL, above.

    The name appears on OS Pathf. 373 as Lalathan Farm, which supplies the above NGR. However OS 6 inch (1856) shows Lalathan twice, once at OS Pathf. Easter Lalathan (NO349043) and again at NO346044, a site no longer named on OS Pathf. The site of OS Pathf. Lalathan Farm has no feature marked on it at all on OS 6 inch (1856). To confuse matters further, the 1856 map shows East Lalathan at the site of OS Pathf. White Cottage (NO354044). OS Name Book (16, 52) says of Lalathan, ‘this, being the original Lalathan, is not called Wester Lalathan.’

    /laˈleθən/ or /ləˈleθən/[112]

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2