Bowes # KWY S NO312024 1 120m
? Bow of Brontoun 1556 NAS RH2/23/3 no. 50 [see discussion]
Bews 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Bowhouse 1768 RHP23533
Bows 1828 SGF
Bowes 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? Sc bowhouse
‘Cattle-farm or vaccary’? The name attached to a group of buildings 100 m north-east of OS Pathf. Dalginch KWY, there is nothing at the site now, but a row of cottages has been built nearby. Though it appears as Bowes on the OS 6 inch 1st edn, the 1st revision of that map (1888 × 1914) does not name it.
In 1556 an instrument was taken in favour of George Oliphant, factor to George earl of Rothes, regarding the removal without 40 days warning of the goods and gear of Johne Reddye, cattle-keeper, from the Bow of Brontoun (NAS RH2/1/23/3 no. 50). Brontoun here is clearly Brunton MAI, closely associated with the lands of Dalginch KWY, MAI, so it may refer to Bowes.
For more on the 1768 plan (RHP23533), see under Dalginch KWY, below.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2