Kemback

Kemback KMB PS NO416150 1 363 25m NWF

(to the marches of) Kenbac 1212 St A. Lib. 316 [all the garbal teinds were given to the archdeacon from the marches of Kincaple (Kincapel) to the marches of Kemback]
Thomas de Kenmake 1204 x 1228 SHS Misc. viii, 312 [o.c.; from Evelick Charter Chest; w.]
Kene bae<c>enim c.1220 Terrier F [17/18th c. copy]
Kenebeck rusticorum c.1220 Terrier F [17/18th c. copy; Gillemhìcheil mac Eoghain (Gillemichel Macewen) was the tenant there; see Terrier notes (PNF 3 Appendix 2), for discussion of who Gillemhìcheil’s father may have been]
(Adam of) Kenbach 1238 x 1240 Barrow 1974 no. 6 [copy; w.]
ecclesia de Kenebach 1244 Paris BN MS latin 1218 [David de Bernham’s consecration of the church, 6th September (viij idus Septembris)]
ecclesia de Kenbak c.1250 St A. Lib. 34
(church of) Kynebak 1304 CDS iv p. 474 [to William of Sprouston (Sproeston) rector of the church of Kemback, who was recently with the Lady Margaret queen of Scotland, sister of the king of England, by gift of the said king for William’s expenses, given by the king’s own hand at Kincaple (apud Kincapel) SSL 11th March, 20 s.][88]
(Marion Olifant ... lady of) Kenbake 1446 SAUL NRA 0153/1 [see KMB Introduction]
(parish kirk of) Kenbake 1446 SAUL NRA 0153/1 [see KMB Introduction]
rectoria ecclesie parochialis de Kenbak 1450 Cant 1950, 55 [used by Bp Kennedy to endow the Licentiate of the new St Salvator’s College; see KMB Introduction]
Kembak 1451 Cant 1950, 63 [in papal bull confirming foundation of St Salvator’s College]
Kenbak 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [see also no. 3139]
Kenbak 1490 x 1494 RMS ii no. 2210 [to John Scheves (Shevez) the lands of Kemback and Kinnaird (Kynnard) KMB]
(John Scheves of) Kenbak 1537 RMS iii no. 1710 [w. to a charter anent Balcomie CRA]
(John Scheves of) Kembak 1558 RMS iv no. 1273 [w.]
(Patrick Scheves of) Kembak 1577 RMS iv no. 2705 [quarter of the lands and toun of Craigfoodie (Craigfuthie) DAE]
(lands of) Kembak 1593 RMS v no. 2273 col. 2 [one of the lands of the archbishop of St Andrews, part of the lordship and barony of Dairsie (Darsy)]
(parish of) Kem<b>ak 1599 RMS vi no. 897
Kembok Kirk 1642 Gordon MS Fife
(parish of) Kinbak 1646 Retours (Fife) no. 695 [see Morton KMB]
minister of Kemboke 1650 Lamont’s Diary 19
Kembocke 1651 Lamont’s Diary 29 [‘Old Kembocke depairted out of this life’]
Kembock 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
K<irk> of Kembock 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Kembok 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Kembo kirke 1655 Lamont’s Diary 94
John Scheveze of Kemback 1657 Retours (Fife) no. 866 [‘the lands of Kemback’ etc.; the ‘tenendrie of Kemback’]
Kingbak 1657 Retours (Fife) no. 872 [Andrew Beattoun of Blebo, the lands of Myretoun in the barony of Kingbak]
Ke<m>muck 1684 Adair/East Fife [the third letter is illegible, presumably m]
Kemmick 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Kembeck 1775 Ainslie/Fife [Art. Makgill Esqr.]

G ceann + G bac

‘End of the bac’, which can mean ‘hindrance; bend in the ground’, from Middle Irish bacc ‘angle, bend; corner, especially of a field, used as a shelter for horses or cattle’. It can also mean ‘hollow or bend’, especially on the body (Angus Watson 2001). The element is not discussed in Watson 1926, but twenty years earlier he translates Bac nan Cisteachan in Applecross parish ROS ‘ridge of the chests’ (1904, 217). This word is not to be confused with the loan-word bac from Old Norse bakki ‘bank’, meaning ‘moss, peat-bog’. This is the first element in the Gairloch place-name Bac an Leith-Choin, which Watson translates ‘moss of the lurcher’ (1904, 228).

    The NGR given above is for the now ruined post-Reformation kirk in the hamlet of Kemback. The medieval kirk was some 700 m to the north, in the vicinity of Kemback House (see KMB Introduction). OS Pathf. also shows Kemback House (NO418155), Kemback Wood, Kemback Hill, Kemback Quarry, Kemback Bridge. OS 6 inch 1st edn (1856) shows Kemback Den at NO419147.

    /ˈkɛmbak/ or /ˈkɛmbək/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2