Blebo Mills # KMB S NO416142 1 60m
molendinum de Blathbolg 1263 x 1264 Barrow 1974 no. 7 [see KMB Introduction]
Blabow Miln 1585 St A. Kirk Sess. 546
boreali molendino de Blebo 1641 RMS ix no. 1027 [Balreuchie (KMB) with the north mill of Blebo ‘called the grain mill’ (molendino granorum vocato)]
australi molendino de Blebo 1641 RMS ix no. 1027 [the south mill of Blebo called the White Mill (lie Quhytmilne); see also Milton of Blebo KMB]
Blebo mill 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Blebo mil 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Mills of Blebow 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [showing two mill-symbols on the Ceres Burn]
North mylne of Blebo 1657 Retours (Fife) no. 872 [‘callit The Corne Mylne’ (which translates the Latin of RMS ix no. 1027]
south-mylne of Blebo 1657 Retours (Fife) no. 872 [‘lands of Milton of Blebo (Mylnetoune of Blebo), with the south-mylne of Blebo callit Quhyt-myllne’ (translating the Latin of RMS ix no. 1027)]
South Miln of Blebo 1794 Sasines no. 3782 [‘Miltown of Blebo with the South Miln of Blebo called the Whitemiln’]
Blebo Mills 1828 SGF [showing two mill symbols close together]
Blebo Mills 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [‘Spinning Mills (flax)’]
en Blebo + Sc miln
The NGR given above is for Blebo Mills as shown on the 1856 map. This is most likely the site to which the thirteenth-century reference relates. There were several mills on the Ceres Burn at any given time, at least from the seventeenth century, and we cannot be sure which of them is to be identified with the mill at the above NGR.
In 1641 mention is made of two ‘Mills of Blebo’, when William Murray of Blebo receives confirmation of the grant of the barony of Blebo, including ‘the lands of Balreuchie #, with the North Mill of Blebo called the ‘grain mill’, the lands of Milton of Blebo with the southern mill of Blebo called the White Mill (terras de Balreuchie, cum boreali molendino de Blebo molendino granorum vocato, terras de Myltoun de Blebo, cum australi molendino de Blebo lie Quhytmilne) (RMS ix no. 1027). Both of these mills have been included in the early forms, though only one of them can refer to Blebo Mills at the NGR given. It is perhaps more likely to be the southern one, especially since that is the one which is associated with Milton of Blebo (Myltoun de Blebo).
In 1828 SGF shows two mill symbols at or near the NGR given above, calling them jointly Blebo Mills. It also shows another mill symbol, not named, on the Ceres Burn below Kemback House, which corresponds to OS 6 inch (1856) Kemback Mill at NO416152. OS 6 inch (1856) shows other mills: Blebo Mills (‘Spinning Mills (flax)’) at the above NGR and Yoolfield Mill (‘flax spinning’) at NO416147. There was also Pitscottie Mill (NO417136).
See also Milton of Blebo KMB, below.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2