Nuthill FAL S NO246073 1 85m
(lands of) Nuthill 1515 Fife Ct. Bk. 3 [William Fernie (Farny) of that ilk died seised in various lands including the lands of Nuthill]
terris de Nuthill 1528 RMS iii no. 549 [to Andrew Fernie various lands and offices including the office of forester of Falkland (forestarie de Falkland), with the lands of Nuthill ‘beside Falkland’ (prope Falkland); incorporated into the free barony of Wester Fernie MML and Kilface MML]
Nutehill 1540 RMS iii no. 2245
ortum et locum de Nuthill 1542 RMS iii no. 2750 [‘the garden/yard and place of Nuthill’]
Manor-place de Nuthill 1602 Retours (Fife) no. 122 [Michael Balfour ‘in the manor commonly called Manor Place of Nuthill beside the burgh of Falkland’ (in manerie vulgo Manor-place de Nuthill prope burgum de Falkland)]
manerium (the Manerplace) de Nwthill 1602 RMS vi no. 1349 [‘the manor place of Nuthill’; also ‘the west nwik of the yaird of Nwthill’ (Sc nwik ‘neuk, corner’)]
Nett-hill 1651 Lamont’s Diary 30
Netthill 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Net hill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
the maner (sic) place of Nethill 1654 Retours (Fife) no. 1591
Nett-hill 1661 Lamont’s Diary 138 [‘hir brother Stormonts house nire Fawckland’]
(the yard and manor-place of) Nethill 1666 RMS xi no. 965 col. 1
(the manor-place of) Nethill 1666 RMS xi no. 965 col. 2 [see Newlands # FAL]
Nethill 1684 Adair/East Fife
Estate of Nuthill 1757 Falkland Plan/1757 [which shows the house and outbuildings]
Nuthill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Nuthill 1790s OSA, 362 [‘Mr Sandilands of Nuthill’]
? Sc nut + Sc hill
‘Hill where a nut-tree or nut-trees grow(s)’? This analysis is suggested both by the earliest and latest forms, and is to be preferred over one involving Sc net ‘net’, suggested by a group of later seventeenth-century forms. The element nut is, however, very rare in Scottish place-names.
Blaeu (Pont) East Fife is very confusing: it places Netthill between Falkland and Wester Kilquhiss (W. Kilquhus) AMY, to the north-east of the town, while Nuthill itself is called Nuttiden.
Nuthill House, which stood in the field opposite Falkland House Stables near the east entrance to Falkland House policies, was demolished in 1839 prior to the building of its successor, Falkland House (A Falkland Guide, 16). It lay on the old road from Falkland to Kinross (via Kilgour), as well as to Arngask (and Perth), marked on Falkland Plan/1757.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2