Newlands # FAL S NO2407 2
Newlandis 1654 Retours (Fife) no. 1591 [‘that pairt and portion of the lands of Falkland called Newlandis, alsweill upon the east as west pairts of the water of Mospie’]
Newlands 1666 RMS xi no. 965 cols. 1–2 [part of the lands of Falkland (Faulkland) called Newlands on the east and west of the water of Maspie (Mospie) and on the west of the manor-place of Nuthill (Nethill) FAL]
Newlands 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1040 [‘in part of the lands of Falkland called Newlands’ (parte terrarum de Falkland vocata Newlands)]
Sc new + Sc land
‘New lands’ probably refer to lands newly brought into cultivation, rather than newly acquired. As is clear from RMS xi no. 965 cols. 1–2 (1666), Newlands lay on both sides of the Maspie Burn, west of Nuthill, and therefore near where the House of Falkland (late 1830s) now stands (for which see also Redhill # FAL).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2