Freuchie Mill FAL S NO289065 1 373 50m
de firmis molendini de Fruchy 1451 ER v, 469 [‘from the fermes of the mill of Freuchie’]
Freuchy Myln 1498 RSS i no. 231 [a letter of tack made to John Hilson (Hiltsoun) and his son of ‘al and hale the lanndis (sic) of Camron (Cameron MAI) and Freuchy Myln’]
molendinum de Fruchy 1541 RMS iii no. 2466 [‘with the mill land’ (cum terra molendinaria)]
Freuquhy-mylne 1611 RMS vii no. 448 [part of the free barony of Forthar; full details of this charter are given under Forthar MAI, discussion, below]
Freuchy mill 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Mill of Freuchy 1654 Blaue (Pont) East Fife
Frewchy mill 1654 Blaue (Gordon) Fife
Freuchymylne 1694 Retours (Fife) no. 1362 [Alexander Clark of Pitteuchar KGL ‘in that part of the lands and barony of Forthar called Freuchie Mill’ (in illa parte terrarum et baroniae de Forther vocata Freuchymylne)]
Fruchymill 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Fruchie Mill 1828 SGF [clearly on FAL side of burn]
Fruchie Mill 1856 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [clearly on FAL side of burn]
en Freuchie + Sc miln
This is one of several mills on this burn, which in its upper reaches at least is called (on OS Pathf.) Pittillock Burn, and in its lower reaches becomes the Freuchie Burn before joining the Eden near Orkie Miln KTT. Ainslie/Fife (1775) shows a mill at Freuchie Mill but calls it Forthar Mill. To the south of his Forthar Mill is Shangy Mill, probably OS Pathf. Channelhall, while south of that Ainslie/Fife shows Wauk Mill, which corresponds to SGF 1828 Fruchie Wauk Mill and to OS 6 inch 1856 Wauk Mill, at NO286059). So far, so good; however, continuing south (and upstream) Ainslie/Fife shows Whole Mill on the site of OS Pathf. Forthar Mill Farm KTT, KFX (1856 OS 6 inch Forthar Mill at NO286057). This would appear to be an error, as SGF (1828) shows Holl Mill further south, where Ainslie/Fife shows Kirkforther Mill (near OS Pathf. Milltail FAL). Whole Mill/Holl Mill contains Sc howe ‘hollow, lying in a hollow’ (also holl or hole).
It seems that the lands of Freuchie Mill extended east of the Pittillock Burn, into KTT. This is suggested by the 1611 RMS entry, which has Freuchie Mill (Freuquhy-mylne) as part of the barony of Forthar KTT, KFX (discussed under Forthar MAI), and is illustrated on the Balbirnie/1836 Plan, which shows lands called Freuchie Mill on the east side of the burn, surrounded by the lands of Forthar, which were then held by Balfour of Balbirnie.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2