Pitlessie Mill

Pitlessie Mill CLT S NO334101 1 362 35m WEF

Pittlessy mill 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Pittlessey M. 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Pittlessie mill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Pittlessie mill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Pitlessie Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Pitlessie Mill 1828 SGF
Pitlessie Mill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn

en Pitlessie + Sc miln

The mills (plural) of Pitlessie are mentioned in 1541 as part of the lands and barony of Pitlessie (RMS iii no. 2256; see Pitlessie for more details).

    The northernmost field of this farm (NO334105) is called Dowlasses or Dollases, pronounced /:dl«s«z/.[60] According to Elizabeth Smith of Pitlessie Mill there were retting ponds here, where flax was rotted to produce fibre for linen. SSE dowlas is a coarse linen cloth, and is probably the origin of this field-name, as well as of a nearby street called Dowlas Court, a new housing development on the edge of Pitlessie. For a discussion of flax cultivation and processing, with particular reference to Bankhead Moss CER, see Martin and Robinson 2003.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2