Paradise CLT S NO363088 1 373 150m NOF
Paradise 1893 x 1915 OS 6 inch County Series, 1st revision
? Sc paradise
“Paradise was a term used in the 17th century for certain areas specially enclosed and planted up. Skene ‘De Verborum Significatione’, treats the word as equivalent to warren, ‘that is ane place quhilk is dyked and inclosed for beastes, cunnings [rabbits], or uthers ... in Latine, Paradisus’” (Alexander 1952, 97). Latin paradisus was also borrowed early into OIr and Old Gaelic meaning ‘paradise; (herb-)garden’ (Watson 1926, 79), and is the origin of Perdius DFL (see PNF 1, s.n.).
A building is marked at the above NGR on OS 6 inch 1855, but given no name. For the suggestion that it may have lain on the lands Barclarie # CLT, q.v. above.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2